Saturday, October 11, 2014

Confessions of a Parent

Can I confess to you?


I often struggle with parenting.  I desperately love my kids and I long to do this thing right.  I want them to grow into mature, responsible, and productive members of society.  I want them to succeed and thrive in whatever place they find themselves in society, work, and life.  I long for them to discover love and marry precious daughters-in-love for me to spoil!  I want so much for them....


So, as their parent, I feel the weight of preparing them for living this life they have been given well.  Each small moment of discipline and instruction begins to feel mountainous as it all seems to have tremendous impact.  Sometimes, I feel like I am too easy on the boys and other times I feel like I am the mean mother who resembles more of a military officer as I  bark commands and orders at them.  On occasion, I am the mother who just wants to hide in the closet... with chocolate.  I love my children, but this endeavor we call parenting is HARD. 


More than anything, my heart cry is to see them fall in love with the Savior who gave His very life-giving blood that they might have life--- not this physical life, but life that extends beyond their last breath.  I long for them to know that depths that HE went to for them to have relationship with them.  I want them to seek after Him for their entire lives.  I think the reason for this is that no matter what else they face in life, if they have Christ, they will have all they need.  He is the resource of all that is truly needed in the life.


Sometimes, I just need a perspective check.  I will often fail in parenting.  They will never have perfectly creative and homemade Halloween costumes.  I may always burn the garlic bread.  I will sometimes allow them to have dessert for a meal.  On occasion, we will have fun instead of school.  They will, at times, wear there socks outside instead of shoes.  I have accepted that burping at the table will still happen, at times.


Yet, of all things.... please let them cling to the Father.  I want to live out a real active faith before them.  Moments of tearful praise followed by daily obedience.  Weakness transformed into strength by the unseen hands of a very real God.  Prayers answered and acknowledged in thanksgiving and praise of the One is the resource of all.  Please, Father, if I can get but one thing right in this season of parenting, let it be that they see YOU in me.....


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment