Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Reflection

When you look at the reflection in the mirror, what do you see?  Do you analyze and criticize all the areas that seem less than perfect?  Or, perhaps, you find areas that have improved and that you are proud of.  Is the reflection you see the same as what others see when they look at you? 

How about when you reflect on your life in the mirror of scriptures?  What do you see?  Are the areas of spiritual struggle highlighted or do you see the victories that have come in the journeys traveled?  I think there is balance in seeing both.  As I reflect on my study of Abraham, I saw such areas of strength within him such as his faith was so strong that he would abandon all to follow after the promise that God had for him.  Yet, he was not perfect.  He lied twice to kings saying that Sarai was his sister in order to avoid any possible conflict.  He caved often to the wishes of his wife that many times were not part of God's will or plan.  Abraham was not perfect, but God saw incredible potential in him and still used him.  The same is true of so many of the Biblical heroes that we love to study.  Most of them had incredible moments of faith and growth, but they also had moments of failures when their actions did not match the heart of God.  My friend, that is us as well.  We will have moments of tremendous victory when we see our Father working and using us to influence our ever changing world.  Other times, we will grieve in deep sorrow over our actions, words, or thoughts that seem so lacking.  Have you ever found yourself in desperate brokenness over such intense areas of struggle?

I love that our Biblical heroes were "normal" people who often had the same struggles you and I face.  They were not perfect and only by God's grace and guidance were able to be victorious.  They still had families to provide for and faced day to day tasks that had to be done.  They dealt with parenting issues and faced so many of the same temptations we will face today.  They were human, fallible humans, who by the grace of God would fall to their knees in desperation, yield themselves to Him and rise to do as He called.  So, when I look on my reflection I see some of those same moments.  Desperate cries followed by a softened and compliant heart that yielded my will to that of His and moments of action where I saw Him in each step I took.  I am just a fallible human who struggles with life and I desperately need to remember that it is not about reaching perfection.... it is in desperately seeking, yielding and trusting in His perfection.  It is the process of seeing His reflection increasing within- His character, His love and His actions.  

I believe God is leading me to study the life of Moses.  To reflect on his character, struggles, failures, strengths, and victories.  I believe in the process I will see much of myself, but it is a greater hope that I see a greater glimpse of my Father.  That His character and deep abiding love for me and in me will increase as I reflect on the life of another great Biblical hero of our faith.  I invite you to join me in the process over the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment