Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Incredible Journey




Yesterday was a very big day around here as Caleb Wilson Boles turned ten years old yesterday. We hit double digits!?!? How did time go by so fast??? All day yesterday I waited for that moment to hit me- you know the moment -when the reality of my "baby" growing up suddenly hits me and I become a basket of tears. It didn't come. Then, today as I was looking for some pictures for this blog, it hit me.




So, humor this mom and take a quick journey back through the events of ten years ago with me...




I was a nervous wreck the morning of May 31, 2000 just knowing that in a few hours my total world was going to change. My pregnancy had been relatively uneventful and I couldn't wait to meet the little man growing inside my big belly... and I mean BIG BELLY! I was huge!




Sadly, my labor would turn out to be a little more exciting. I was induced due to swelling and being past my due date and as soon as my doctor broke my water I was calling for an epidural! Unfortunately, the anesthesiologist that worked in Labor and Delivery, at the small hospital where we delivered, was on vacation and his "sub" was not interested in helping a pregnant woman in labor. So, he never came and I did not get the benefit of a pain free delivery. Thankfully, God granted me mercy and I went from a 6 to a 10 within thirty minutes!
As I began pushing, a fire alarm went off throughout the hospital, and both the nurses who were assisting the doctor looked at each other in confusion and one ran out of the room to check on the alarm. At this point, I informed the remaining nurse that I would not stop pushing- even if I had to leave the building because of the alarm.... he could come in the parking lot, right? Finally, the other nurse returned having heard that the alarm was a drill- PTL!!! Then, as I continued pushing, the doctor realized that Caleb was coming out with his arm up beside his head- So I was trying to push out a head, hand and shoulder all at once. This is not good as it can be very concerning for the baby, but I was able to deliver him and he was just fine. Reagan (who had been an incredible support throughout the delivery) and I cried as we heard Caleb's first cries and knew that he was finally here.




Later, that night as I cuddled him close, I told him to be patient with me as I was a "new mommy", but that I would be the best mother to him that I could be. The past ten years haven't been perfect, but I feel incredibly blessed to have such a good kid as my son- especially one who has such a passion for the Lord. Truthfully, I learned how to be a parent with Caleb and each year he gives me more opportunities for growing and improving as we face different challenges from year to year. I hope to share some of these lessons tomorrow.....




Thanks, Caleb, for starting me on a most incredible journey- I love you!




(Side note: Can you believe how similar Caleb and Kendall look as babies???)

No comments:

Post a Comment