Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just one year ago....

Monday was a special day in our house. Kendall turned one! We had a great family celebration last Saturday and I will share pictures of all that fun tomorrow. First, however, I just need to share some of my memories of one year ago.

I had been so shocked and surprised, on July 8, 2009, when I took a pregnancy test and discovered that we were expecting. Reagan and I had always wanted children and were thrilled with the births of two sons, Caleb and Carson. I had continued to hope and long for a girl, but after our layoff in January 2009 we had decided that two children was enough for us. (Can't you just hear God chuckling right now?)

Our plan was to do something "permanent" when Reagan got another job with benefits. Well, Reagan was blessed with another job, but it had no benefits. Just weeks after Reagan started his new job we had an "uh-oh" moment..... Immediately, Reagan says he knew that I was pregnant, but I kept thinking, "Surely not.... it can't be...." Honestly, I began to realize that it was certainly a real possibility and the overwhelming nausea and constant need to pee were definite confirmations.

So, on July 8, 2009 I took a pregnancy test..... and I held my breath.... then I saw TWO lines pop up in that window... and I cried, no sobbed, for several hours. One part of me was ecstatic and another was overwhelmed with all this meant to our family. Within a few days, I was caught up in the excitement and anticipation of this precious baby joining our family.

Now fast forward nine months......

On Saturday, March 13, I went to bed at about 11 pm due to the time change that was taking place that night. Plus, I had been checking on Carson who was running about 102* fever as well as writing thank you notes and I was worn out. About two hours later, I was awakened to discover that Caleb was sick to his stomach and found myself changing bedsheets, cleaning carpets, and comforting my nearly ten year old. This went on for about the next three hours when Reagan and I finally returned to bed, and I began praying for God to let this baby wait one more night to come.... I really needed some sleep. (Can't you hear God chuckling again??) At a little after 6 a.m., I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom because, in my dead sleep stupor, I thought I was wetting myself. It took only a few seconds for reality to hit me that my water had broken and we needed to get to the hospital. The next hour was chaotic as we called parents, packed bags, and finally got the infant carrier out of the box (yeah, we were so not ready yet).

At 12:45 p.m., Kendall David Boles sounded his first cry and I was hooked.... this precious boy had me completely enamored with him just like his two brothers and Daddy. I love him so much and cannot imagine life without him. He has brought such joy to our lives and has made me feel so overwhelmed that God would give us such an unexpected blessing. Happy Birthday Kendall!

No comments:

Post a Comment