Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Slingshot in Hand

Superman, Batman, Spiderman.... all great examples of heroes for justice. Too bad they aren't real huh? Our world could use a hero right now.... death, illness, natural disasters, lay offs, pain....

Our church has started a new series based on the Max Lucado book, Outlive Your Life. The thought behind our lessons and sermons has been what if you could live your life in such a way that ripples of of your work would continue to change others long after you have passed away. This has really challenged me, personally, to think about my life. Am I living that way? Would there be an ongoing wave of change that would affect change for decades after my death? Hard questions, huh?

How about these questions:

Had you been a German Christian during World War II, would you have taken a stand against Hitler?

Had you lived during the Civil Rights movement in the South, would you have taken a stand against racism?

When your grandchildren discover that you lived in a day in which 3 billion people were desperately poor and 1 billion were hungry, how will they judge your response?

Hard questions. Maybe even harder answers.

In the security of my home or the comfort of my close Christian friends, it is easy to believe that I would have the courage of David to pick up the stones and slingshot.... that I would walk out to face the giant. However, in the reality of this world my hand trembles when the slingshot is in hand and I am fearful. Afraid. Overwhelmed.

Living a life that affects change beyond ourselves requires much.... much time, much energy, much sacrifice and much humbling. What it requires most is the Father and His gift to us, the Holy Spirit. Alone, we can't live beyond our flawed bodies and personalities, but in His hands we can become so much more. God reminded me of all the events I couldn't make it through.... I could never bear to have a child with a major health issue..... but I have. I could never make it through a lay off.... but we did. I could never go through a three year trial selling our first home... but we did. Not me, but Christ who is within me.

Lord, steady my hand when I hold Your slingshot in this world. Make me faithful to You Father and let me live in such a way that ripples will flow for generations. I want to be Your change, Father, and I ask you to relieve me of my fear and plant each of my steps on firm ground.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsvqVmFV6Y

No comments:

Post a Comment