Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Messy Lessons

Yesterday, it was lunchtime and Kendall was READY to eat and that boy loves his food! Right now, he has discovered a french toast bread that I get at our local grocery store and he loves it. If he sees it in the pantry, he will go to the door and call out "bed" (aka bread) until someone comes to check on him. I don't mind him having a slice or two (okay, being honest here- four) for breakfast, but not at lunch, dinner and all snacks. So, being a mean Mommy, I prepared him something else. He cried and fussed and endured a trip to timeout before sitting still in his high chair. While sitting quietly, he finally asked for what I had prepared and ate very well as you can see in the picture.








I had to laugh as I thought about this whole scenario.... it is SO like me with God. Too often I cry and throw a fit over what I really wanted in my life until I take the time to sit and be still before Him. During that time, my heart is softened and I am able to give up my will for what God has planned for me. His plan is always better for me that what I would choose anyway.








Well, after Kendall ate his lunch and fed himself, the boys were laughing at how messy he had gotten. I knew that I could have fed him and the mess would have been minimal, but he needed to learn how to do it himself. Too often lessons in our kids lives are messy, dirty, sticky and overall unpleasant- and NECESSARY. I think sometimes we try to make our kids' lives so easy that we forget that they need to learn by experience - sometimes with our direction and sometimes on their own. Learning involves making mistakes, getting dirty and it always takes more time. However, when the lesson is learned, they are more independent and prepared for what the future may hold.








This truth applies to all of us. Some lessons are spiritual, some are mental, some are physical, and most have to be learned through experience- it is our human nature! I wish that I could read the Bible and always heed God's instructions. Sadly, too often, I have to learn through mistakes and challenges, but when the lesson is learned, I grow more in His likeness. I am learning that I may have to be dirty and tried to really have a humble heart for HIM.




The good news is that creates beauty out of our ashes and no mess is ever wasted.












No comments:

Post a Comment