Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Too Much "To Do" in Your Day?

Have you ever felt like you were way behind on your tasks for the day, and you haven't even gotten out of bed?  Like the gun went off to start the race and you were still getting your shoes on?

That is how I have felt today.  I try to stay organized and on top of all my commitments, but sometimes life's circumstances don't cooperate: phone calls distract, meetings pop up, messes happen, and corrective discipline needs take time..... before I know it, my day has dwindled, but my "To Do" list has grown.  It's enough to make me want to bury my head back under the covers.....

but,

today God drew me to Himself.  He reminded me that my focus should be on Him and not the endless tasks before me.  I read the following from one of my devotional guides, Jesus Calling.  This is written as if God is speaking directly to you.

" Make me your focal point as you move through this day.  Just as a spinning ballerina must keep returning her eyes to a given point to maintain her balance, so you must keep returning your focus to Me.  Circumstances are in flux, and the world seems to be whirling around you.  The only way to keep your balance is to fix your eyes on Me, the One who never changes."

My circumstances, today, have certainly been in flux and my day is spinning before me, and just as I started to feel dizzy and overwhelmed by it all, God reminded me that I had lost my focus on Him.  He brings balance to my day, my mind, my anxiety and my calendar.  I may not complete everything on my list, but the details are up to the Father.  There is purpose in all God does and it may be, perhaps, that the incomplete items on my list are that way for a purpose.  It may also be that God just wants me to see that His grace is sufficient even when not everything gets done- that He just needs me to NEED HIM more than I need to check off my list.

In another excerpt from Jesus Calling, "Walk with Me in holy trust, responding to My initiatives rather than trying to make things fit your plans.  I died to set you free, and that includes freedom from compulsive planning. When your mind spins with a multitude of thoughts you cannot hear My voice.  A mind preoccupied with planning pays homage to the idol of control."

Ouch!  I confess that is my struggle.... God often puts me in situations when I feel things are out of my control because He is teaching me to find peace, freedom, strength, and resources through HIM.  Too often my personal value is tied to how much I can accomplish or complete each day.  That is a lie from the evil one!  My value is in Christ- I am a child of the KING- my value rests in Him and honoring His wishes and requests.

So, today I am thanking God for being my focus and for filling my spirit with peace as I continue through today.  I accept that things may not go as I would plan, but that His grace is sufficient to fill all my needs.  I do not want to give my heart and mind over to the idol of control, but rest in Him.  A mind at peace can often do more than one that is dizzy with tasks. 

Give Him your day, today, and just rest in all that He is capable of and we might just both be surprised at what He does!

No comments:

Post a Comment