Monday, September 16, 2013

Reagan's BIG Birthday!

So, about six weeks ago, I was hit with the revelation that my husband was having a big birthday this year.... the 40 was just around the corner.  So, as I began to consider what to do to celebrate it, the thought hit me that I could totally pull of a big surprise party for him.  I began working with two friends who were glad to help organize and co-host the big event.  This past Saturday was THE DAY and it was so much fun!   All last week I cleaned and organized the house in preparation for the party.  Thankfully, since Reagan was gone everyday to work, he did not pick up on all the work I was doing. 

On Friday, I drove the boys to my parents' house and then met him at noon to pick him up.  We drove to the metroplex and had lunch together before heading to Cabelas (one of his favorite stores) and then we went to the Ranger game that evening.  He thought this date night was really the main celebration for his birthday.  On Saturday, we met my parents and the boys for a late breakfast and returned home for me to bake him a peach cobbler (his favorite dessert).  We prepared to leave the house about 2:30, but I "remembered" that I had left my phone in the house.  In reality, I was setting out several needed items for my co-hosts and putting up a few last minute items.  I also left the front door unlocked so all the guests could get in the house.  We left and went to a couple of different restaurants watching the Texas Aggies play as well as eating a progressive dinner.

After the game, we slowly drove home- I even took a "wrong" turn which delayed us a little.  While we were gone, the guests parked across from our street at a local parked and walked to our house.  When we pulled into our house, nothing looked different from when we left, but Reagan had trouble unlocking the door.  Finally he opened the door to see 30 close friends all shouting, "SURPRISE!!!"  It was so great!  He was shocked and so blessed by the gesture.  Everyone brought gifts with "40" as the theme so he received things like 40 bullets, 40 Depends, 40 M&M candies and so forth.  It was really fun and interesting what everyone chose to bring!

I had also asked several friends who lived too far to come to the party to call Reagan throughout the day on Saturday- at 40 minutes past the hour!  He really began to look forward to seeing who would call him in the next hour.  It was fun!  All in all, I would say the day was a big success and I think it was a birthday that he will never forget! 

No comments:

Post a Comment