Monday, November 11, 2013

A New World

Our youngest has hit the stage where a whole new world full of letters has been opened to him.  Several times throughout the day I find him recognizing or identifying the letters he sees on signs, items, shirts and etc.  He has also began identifying the beginning sounds of words and often makes a game of it.  I love that stage- suddenly his eyes are open and able to see all the written world before him.  Saturday night, I took him with me on a quick trip to the grocery store and as we pulled up to the store, he screamed in delight- "K, Momma!  Just like my name!"  I chuckled at the precious delight he found in that discovery. 

Within minutes, the thought hit me.... am I that excited at the sight of God working in this world?  Do I have eyes to see all that He is doing in our world- recognizing that it is truly HIM at work?  Even more than that, do I take on His cause when I recognize His prompting?  You see, in the last few months, the Father has been teaching me about living a missional life where I look for opportunities to honor and bless Him with my service.  Not to make Him love me more or to earn His approval... nothing I can do will make Him love me any more than He already does and nothing I have done will make Him love me any less... but serving Him out of that great love He has bestowed on me.   I cannot "earn" the grace He extends to us all, but I serve out my love for my Savior.   This means getting in the thick of this messy life and being a loving, caring, and living church to this world that is weary of hypocrisy and the "come to my church" mentality.  He calls us to BE the church to this world- meeting people at their place of need, work, heartache, and mess.  It isn't always going to be easy, fun, or full of immediate results, but lives will be changed!

There is a ministry that our church supports that delivers food to those who are without in our area.  One Saturday, a friend of mine was assisting with it and knocked on the door of a single mother.  Upon hearing why they were there, she broke down into tears.  They were out of food and she had been praying for God to help them.  My friend has become her "mentor"..... delivering her additional food, praying daily for her and often calling to check on her.  The need is great- beyond even what my friend can offer- but our God is greater.  It means getting out of the safety of our pews or nice comfortable chairs to join this messy hurting world- loving people where they are in all areas (spiritually, mentally, physically, and socially) and then drawing them to the King of Kings who redeems!  For us it is living with total dependence and trust in our Savior living out the faith we profess....

It is being a living church to a dead world.......

Oh Father, give me eyes to see and faith to act..... Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment