Friday, November 22, 2013

Boys Eat.

Boys eat.  I mean, really... boys EAT.  Some of you are laughing as I haven't even made it to the real impressive teen years of food consumption for my boys, but some days I just shake my head at it all.  Kendall, the toddler, will wake me up with the words, "Can I have (yogurt, pop-tart, banana, cereal)?  I haven't had any today!"  Not...Good morning!  Not.... I love you.  Not... You are an incredible, awesome mother to get up early with me every morning.  Nope.  Just a request for food.  The other day, Kendall had a banana, yogurt, bowl of cream of wheat, and a bowl of cereal for breakfast- and wanted a snack mid-morning!

This morning, the boys discovered that the new box of pop-tarts only had one single pop-tart remaining.  A battle ensued over who would get the remaining breakfast treat that could simply be compared to a world wide war.  How is a mother to handle such issues?  I hadn't even had my first cup of coffee yet!?!?  My response was calm and collected  (okay, slightly agitated).....to offer to eat the remaining pop-tart which would not allow them to have any at all or to cut it into three parts.  They chose the latter option.  Food.  It is very important to boys.... it may, in fact, be their love language.

So, here is the thought that hit me..... I want to hunger for God in the same way.  I want to long and crave Him as much as the food I partake of at least three times a day.  How does a longing like that grow?  Love.  When we fully grasp the depth and width of the love of God to send His only Son to take our place on the cross, a desperate, hungry love develops.  When we fully recognize that Christ could have taken himself off the cross at any point, but remained in tremendous pain and heartache because it was His love for US that pinned Him to the wooden beams that day.... how can we not cling to such a beautiful love?  It is a love so rich, so full, and so deep that there is nothing on this Earth to compare it to, and we struggle to understand it. 

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:14-21 NIV)

I want to grasp how wide and long and high and deep that love is for me.... and I want to know, to truly KNOW, this love.  I am going to pray this scripture for myself over the next several days and weeks asking God to help me grow in insight over this.  I want to be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God because, my friends, that is what life is truly about- isn't it?  Max Lucado stated in his book, Just Like Jesus, this, "Step away from the puny pursuits of possessions and positions, and seek your king.  Don't be satisfied with angels.  Don't be content with stars in the sky.  Seek him out as the shepherds did.  Long for him as Simeon did.  Worship him as the wise men did.  Do as John and Andrew did: ask for his address.  Do as Matthew: invite Jesus into your house.  Imitate Zacchaeus.  Risk whatever it takes to see Christ."

This is just my opinion, but I think our world has tried to find joy and fulfillment in everything but the One who can truly satisfy.  They long for Him, but seek filling in everything else.  If we live a life of mission revealing the depth of His love for us to them.... we couldn't keep them from wanting a relationship with Him.  This love, this grace-filled, passionate love is that addicting. 

"Only a love that has no regard for vessels and jars- appearances or image- only a love that will lavish its most treasured essence on the feet of Jesus can produce the kind of fragrance that draws cynics and believers alike into His presence." (Gloria Gaither)

Oh Father, I want THAT kind of love! How about you?  My friend, seeking the depth of His great love for us is a life-long pursuit.  It is one that has no end because His love for us as no end.  Why do we hold back from the One who loves us so much?  I want to hunger for the things of HIM........

My plate is empty, Father.  Fill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment