Friday, November 1, 2013

Taking Superman Off

 As a child, I loved fall - okay, I still love fall!  I love the cooler temperatures after the hot summer and the beauty of changing leaf colors as well as all the holidays!  From about mid-October until the end of December it seems like we are going from one celebration to another.  Our focus seems to change to more of our kids and spending time with them making memories. 

Last night, each of the boys picked out costumes and Kendall decided to be Superman.  He was dressed and ready to go hours before the time to leave.  He practiced what to say when he would arrive at a door... "Trick or Treat!!!..... Thank you!"  He even "coached" his older brothers on what to do and say at each house- much to their frustration- I mean, they are professional trick or treaters now!  When the time finally came to leave, he was ecstatic!

As the boys went to the first house, he laughed in giddy excitement.  However, Kendall added a new line to his door approach..... "Trick or Treat!!!  I am Superman!.... Thank you!"  It seemed, that he needed to make sure that they knew- undoubtedly- that he was special.... he WAS Superman.  Most of the people laughed and chuckled at his declaration and a few even gave him an extra piece of candy as a result!

This morning, he came in wearing his Superman costume for breakfast.  When I reminded him that we would have to wear "regular" clothes today, he was saddened.  "But,.... I am Superman...." was his reply.  Then God whispered to my heart.... "My child, don't you do the same thing?"  How many of us put on a costume each day that we present to the world.  One of our own choosing, it often "masks" the reality that is deep within.  Often my costume is reflective of a false self-sufficiency as I try to present myself as one who has it all together.  Truth is, none of us have it all together, right?  Why do we insist on wearing masks to hide our deficiencies.  In reality, it is our weaknesses that often draw us closer to each other. 

As believers, we are to encourage and build up each other - to be a support system as we all struggle and grow in our faith.  My strength as a believer may strengthen you in an area of weakness as you may do the same for me in an area of weakness.  It is realizing that NONE of us have it all together and are all still growing in our faith.... we are learners journeying through this life together in the assurance of an eternity together.

Today, as Kendall returns to life without his costume, I am taking mine off too.  How about you?

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment