Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope many of you are able to celebrate this special holiday with family and close friends.  In America, I love that we take a day to just celebrate all that we have been given and the blessing we have in our lives.  So many of my friends have been posting on Facebook all the things they are thankful for in their life.  As I have read them, one thing I noticed is that many of the things that were mentioned do not come with a price tag.... family, friends, cherished moments, and our faith are truly what we hold dear when life is stripped down to core.

Last night, my mom and I tried to teach the boys how to play the game "42".  Now, this game is a southern tradition that is played with dominoes and I have dear memories of playing with my parents and grandparents.  They loved it!  The funny thing was that Kendall, the three year old, wanted to play.  His focus was often on building things out of his dominoes until he had to play one of them.  I watched and he had some incredible "hands", but his focus was on building his "house" out of the remaining dominoes in his possession. 

How many times is my focus on building my "house" not fully realizing the great blessings I have right within my reach?  My friend, on this day of thanksgiving, let us realize and truly see all the blessings we have been given in our hands.... Our treasure is not in the things we can buy or have in our possession.  Savor your memories being made today with your children, parents and grandparents as those are the real treasures in our life.... all too soon those moments will have passed to never return.

So, this morning I had an extra cup of coffee while I sat and visited with my parents.  There was no need to rush, but just sip and treasure those beautiful moments.  I am going to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade with my kids and just delight in the joy they find in it.  I want all the hugs and cuddles they will give.... and, I think we will have a huge game of 42 later! 

Those are my treasures!  How about you?

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment