Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Band Aids

On Monday, I had the rare opportunity to spend some time with a close friend.  At one point, I hopped out of our family truck to fill it up with gas.  When I did so, I managed to scrape/cut my knee on a cd case that Reagan had left in the pocket of the door.  I tried to ignore it at first- acting all cool and such, but it began to bleed and draw some attention. I looked in my bag for a band aid- I mean all moms of boys should keep band-aids in their purse, right?  No luck.  Apparently, I had used the last one recently.... Plus, it would have been a bright colorful character type that would scream out like a siren to the world that an injury had occurred.  Ugh!  That wasn't my preference either.  Nothing seems to draw attention more than a brightly colored, character band aid on an adult.  Children, on the other hand, seem to love them.  The brighter, the bolder, the bigger.... the better!  We adults, however, tend to want to hide our injuries with as boring, small, and flesh colored bandage as we can find. 

This isn't too surprising- is it?  We do not like to draw attention to any injury we might have- especially emotional or spiritual struggles.  So, we try to cover all injuries or flaws with "normal" bandages that hide- and certainly not draw attention- to our hurts and needs.  Our world values sufficiency found within oneself and any weakness shown is frowned upon.  Why?  We all have injuries.  We all have weaknesses.  We all have flaws.  Why must we pretend that all is good and life is perfect if it isn't the truth?  Especially as Christians, we recognize our need for salvation through Christ, but we try to pretend that we have it all together otherwise.  Our salvation in Christ is but a start to our relationship with Him.  His healing and transformation of our lives is a daily occurrence that takes place in the quiet moments of prayer, study and listening to gentle whisper of His voice.  He loves us enough to redeem us at our worst and to envision us at our best.  He reshapes us into His perfect portrait of grace and promise.  When we hold such value in His heart, why can't we be honest with Him and with others in His family about the cracks within our "picture-perfect" world?  It is a risky business, isn't it?  We risk others viewing us differently.  We risk heartache.  We risk the Father stretching and growing us through the weakness.  We risk redemption of it. 

My friend, while we must show wisdom in who we entrust our "cracks" with, we are never meant to burden them alone.  First, the Father knows all your heartache and brokenness already. He has heard the cries of your heart and longs for you to entrust Him with it all.  All He is waiting on is you.  Second, He encourages us to live in unity with fellow believers; so, when challenges come, we do not have to bear those burdens alone.  We need the fellowship of others who will encourage us in our faith and help us walk through difficult journeys.  Our time will come when we help another in their walk and are a burden-bearer for them.  That is fellowship at its best. 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)

Are you bearing a burden alone right now?  You don't have to as the Father longs for you to place it at His feet.

Do you have a Christian brother or sister that can help you bear that burden? 

Why do you think we hide our weaknesses from others?

What could we gain from sharing our burdens?

My friend, I am praying for the faces I have never seen, but whose hearts have connected with my life experiences.  I long for God to use us to draw closer to each other and to Him.  Allow me to bear your burdens and be a prayer warrior for you.  Blessings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment