Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Who is in Control?

This morning, my youngest two males were in the living room playing a game on one of our game systems and I noticed how intensely Kendall was focused on the task at hand.  He would not look away from the screen and clung tightly to the controller.  What is so strange about it all is that he wasn't playing the game.... his brother was.  At one point, the controller wasn't even plugged into the game, but he acted as though the entire game depended on him alone.  Crazy, huh?

The thing is, how often do I do the same thing in life.  So focused on my day or tasks at hand feeling like all of the world is on my shoulders.  Yet, it isn't.  My God is still in control of the day to day events that rock my world.  He does give me a freedom to choose my reactions and responses, but in the end He is still in control of the events.  He orders my steps and nothing that I face on any given day is a surprise to Him.  So, my faith is secure in knowing that He is in the midst of every circumstance, trial and challenge that comes my way.  Seeking after His will and guidance in the midst of them; then walking in obedience will bring about a victorious life.  That doesn't mean that every situation will end in victory, but a life lived genuinely seeking the Father is always victorious.

Today I read this, and while it is certainly focused on periods of trial, it's truth can be seen in any day to day situation.  "We say we want more faith, but really what we want is sight.  Sight says, 'I see that it's good for me, so God must have sent it.' but faith says, 'God sent it, so it must be good for me.'  God asks us to walk by faith, not by sight.  Faith is walking in the dark with God, holding His hand." (Calm My Anxious Heart, Linda Dillow)

That statement rings so true within my soul.  So many times I have cried out for more faith, but what my heart genuinely wanted was sight.  I also read the following statement from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young today as well.  "Thankfulness is built on a substructure of trust.  When thankful words stick in your throat, you need to check up on your foundation of trust.... I want you to learn the art of giving thanks in all circumstances."  When, in faith, we are able to walk the path of God's choosing for our life with joy and thanksgiving because we have a deep abiding trust in the character of God, a victorious life is ours.  We choose our response to the events He places in our life realizing that He holds it all in His hands.  What joy that knowledge brings- what peace! 

Whatever you are facing this day, trust in the character of the Father.  Walk, in faith, the path of His leading and allow peace, joy and thankfulness to be your response.  You are not alone and the hand leading and comforting you in the midst of any trial is that of the Father.   Live a victorious life!

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful picture God gave you for illustration of His sovereignty and our thinking we are holding the reins. Thank you for sharing. I love the part about asking for more faith when what we really want is more sight; so true!

    ReplyDelete