Friday, October 12, 2012

A Wet Mistake

On Wednesday night, both Reagan and I had commitments up at our church.  I had a meeting at 5:30 and he had praise team practice at 6:30.  So, we determined that I would go to my meeting as soon as he arrived home and then he could bring the kids with him to church at 6:30 when my meeting would be over and I could come home with the younger two kids.  (Caleb has LIT on Wednesday nights and would be staying up at the church with Dad.)

So, earlier in the day I had changed Kendall's clothes after his nap and determined that his diaper wasn't very wet and that I would wait and change him before leaving to go to my meeting.  MISTAKE #1

Reagan was running late getting off work and arrived home at 5:40 pm- yikes!  Since I was watching the clock and slightly stressed about arriving late at my meeting, I  totally forgot about changing Kendall's diaper.  I also forgot to mention it to Reagan when we did a rushed "kid trade off".  MISTAKE #2

Upon the completion of my meeting, I went to retrieve the boys from the childcare area and discovered that Kendall was very wet.  He kept asking me to change his diaper, but looking around I did not find his diaperbag.  MISTAKE # 3

So, I told him to hang on and that we were leaving very soon.  All I needed to do was catch our Children's Minster to discuss a couple of things and we would be on our way and I could remedy the wet diaper situation.  MISTAKE # 4

Upon finding the Children's Minster, we began discussing some issues and things that needed to be done when I very warm sensation began spreading across my abdomen where I had Kendall on my hip.  Yep, the diaper did not hold and Kendall didn't either..... Upon seeing a look of horror cross my face, the Children's Minister asked if I was okay.  I bumbled through an explanation to see him laughing and offering to help any way he could  "No thanks."  I said politely, "I am headed home to get a shower ASAP!". 

As I buckled Kendall into his carseat, he looked at me and said, "I sorry Mommy."  I melted.  The truth is that it isn't his fault.... a comedy of errors turned into a big, wet mess, but it wasn't his fault.   He just did what came naturally and even asked for my help beforehand.   In that moment, I felt such tender love for my little boy despite the situation.

Two thorough scrubbings later, we sat in clean pajamas reading another book when the Children's Minister called.  He had a question for me and then, still chuckling, he asked if I had been able to clean up okay.... yep, I assured him that we were in a much better state than when he had seen us last at church. Ugh!  You can't make this stuff up!  He was still laughing when I hung up the phone!

Perhaps you needed a chuckle today- I hope you enjoyed this real life Mommy moment. You know, life is messy. Mistakes happen. But, I would rather live with all the messiness than not truly live.

No comments:

Post a Comment