Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hidden

Yesterday, in the midst of schoolwork, I noticed that Kendall had gone missing. Plus, he was extremely quiet- these are the primary prerequisites for a parent check on him. As I began my search, I noticed that the refrigerator door was slightly ajar. Upon a closer look, I saw two small, bare feet barely sticking out of the opening. Quickly, I grabbed my camera and took some photos of my beloved youngest sitting in the cold, darkness drinking a yogurt that he was afraid I would not let him have.


One part of me couldn't help but chuckle at the site before me. Yet, I saw a much sadder reflection in his actions- my own. How many times have I sat hidden and cold in the darkness of sin. Fully knowing that my actions were not what was noble, right, and true.... and yet, so enchanted by the sin that so easily entangles, I stayed there in the dark. Sin is a lonely, cold place and there is always fear of being found out lurking in the anxious mind of the one trying to stay in the dark.

When I opened the refrigerator, Kendall was a mix of emotions, but primarily he was sad at my finding him and angry at me. How dare I interrupt his yogurt time! Isn't that the reaction of many when "found out"? I know when I felt discovered, my heart wanted to lash out in anger at the one who had brought light to my darkness. Truthfully, the anger came from my own sadness of having believed the lies if the evil one.
He calmed once I reassured him that he could have the yogurt, but I just wanted him to eat it at the table and ask permission next time. Happily, he responded quickly and went straight to the table to await his snack. I had no problem with him having the yogurt- it was late in the morning and I have no doubt that he was hungry. He choose a healthy snack at that! My issue was that he did it the wrong way- without my blessing.  He was seeking to fulfill his needs on his own. I think that is God's response to us as well. Too often, it's not that God doesn't want us to have what we are seeking, he just wants us to do it the right way. To seek Him first and to allow it to be outpouring of His great love for us. When we seek after Him, the blessing is no longer hidden in the darkness, but a cause of celebrating at His banquet table.

"Let me encourage you to continue to wait with faith. God may not perform a miracle, but He is trustworthy to touch you and make you whole where there used to be a hole" Lisa Whelchel ("Once a Day Everyday")

"God's smile is not for the healthy hiker who boasts he made the journey alone. It is, instead, for the crippled leper who begs God for a back on which to ride." Max Lucado ("Grace for the Moment")

My friend, if you are in the cold darkness of a sin that has you entangled, reach and grasp the scarred hand of the Savior- He wants to free you. He wants to give you life, healing and joy! Let Him draw you out into the light of His all encompassing love!

1 comment: