Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cereal on a Plate

Kendall has been so sick the past few days. He is tired, weak, and very emotional- any little thing and the tears fall fresh and heavy on his cheeks. Yesterday, in the midst of the day he requested some cereal to eat. I had no issue with that because he has not eaten well and cereal as well as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches have been the most appealing to him. However, he wanted me to put his cereal on a plate and add milk. What? I offered to put the cereal on the plate- with no milk- or put it all in a bowl. He cried for several minutes as I refused to put his cereal with milk on his favorite baseball plate. He just couldn't understand why he couldn't have what he wanted, the way he wanted.... Finally, he caved and went to the table to eat his cereal with milk that was waiting in a BOWL.

I am so like that with God. Times that I just want what I want- even if it doesn't make sense and it isn't what is best for me. There have been times when I am pleading and crying for my way in something and I believe God is lovingly refusing my pleas. Why? My requests make about as much sense as cereal on a plate- it is not what is best for me. Most of the times what I am requesting is a "quick fix" that would temporarily easy my discomfort, but it will never truly fulfill the need.

"This is what the LORD says: “You will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,” says the LORD. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.” (Jeremiah 29:10-14 NLT)

Most of us are familiar with Jeremiah 29:11, but when you read the whole passage we can see that God is promising that His plans are for their good. However, He is also refusing their requests for a "quick fix" with an immediate release to go back to their homeland. In the end, God was and has continued to be faithful to Israel. He has not failed them- or me- or you. He has committed to work out His plans for our best outcome- even if it means standing firm refusing our quick fix solution. Why? He loves us too much to give us less than His best.

No comments:

Post a Comment