Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dressed for the Day

Lately, Kendall has been very faithful to bring me his clothes each day to wear. I chuckle at this because, as a homeschool family, we often do school in our pajamas or in play clothes. However, this does not seem to fit Kendall's personality. Often I have just set down with my coffee and Bible when I see him bringing me his choice of clothes for the day ahead. He needs to feel dressed and prepared for whatever we might to that day.

I have thought of this often lately. How would God want me to dress or prepare for my day. Then I thought of the following passage of scriptures:

"For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere." (Ephesians 6:12-18 NLT)

I think God wants me to study His word and put on His faithful armor to protect me from the evil one that longs to distract, mislead, and harm us. Each day I must make an effort to make sure I am prepared for all that may come about that day and it begins by spending time in the word, praying my heart to the Father and listening for His response. This enables the Holy Spirit to be at work guiding, leading, and enabling me to live a God-called life beyond circumstances.

I would never let us leave the house if we weren't dressed for public, but how many times have I left without being spiritually dressed for the day? Father, forgive me....

No comments:

Post a Comment