Friday, October 5, 2012

Brotherly Love

Brothers..... they either love or torture each other to death.  Growing up, I remember my brother and I wrestling, fighting, or annoying each other often.  I also remember watching out for each other, playing games together, and sharing secrets of hopes and dreams.   Now, as a parent I witness those relationships in my boys and I pray that they will mature into lifelong friendships. 

Recently, I have noticed a subtle change in the way my boys have responded to each other.  Kindness, thoughtfulness, and gentleness seem to be finding their way into the hearts of my young men.   In the past two months, Caleb has offered to buy his brothers new Hot Wheel cars so they play together.  One of the times, the cashier was so surprised by Caleb's actions that he paid for the items and told Caleb to save his money.  Caleb has always been helpful with Kendall, but yesterday he took his youngest brother outside to play baseball with him.  Now, Kendall is two and playing baseball means that he throws or hits the ball while you chase it down repeatedly..... and yet, Caleb found joy in it.

Carson had an opportunity recently to take over Caleb's room and have a room to himself for a time.  I thought he would jump on such a proposal, but instead his heart was concerned about Caleb's feelings.  He chose to continue sharing a room with Kendall because he would rather stay where he was.  Carson has also started taking more interest in Kendall and his needs.  Many times lately he has rushed to Kendall's side out of concern for his brother. He loves to read to Kendall and I have found both of them together many times just cuddling and reading together.

Kendall loves his brothers.... they are about as good as sliced bread in his eyes.  On Thursdays, the older two boys and Reagan take karate.  I often keep Kendall at home.  When they enter into the house, Kendall runs to the door screaming, "Bubbies!!!"  He just adores them and they adore him.

My friends, I was reminded of the scripture from 2 Peter 1:4-8.

"And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.
The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:4-8 NLT)

I think God wants us to love each other with the kind of gentle, brotherly love that I have begun to witness in my home recently. A love that puts the needs of others ahead of yourself. A love that reaches out when someone is in need and agrees to walk with you down that hard journey. It is love that requires effort, energy, and time. It is love that starts with Christ and our relationship with Him. My boys are not perfect- have no doubt about that-but, on days that they are giving themselves over to the mind and attitude of Christ, I see Him in them. Isn't that the point of love anyway- to see the Savior etched all through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment