Friday, May 18, 2012

Birth Moms



Last night I watched a show called "Birth Moms" on the TLC channel.  Now, this show follows several women who have decided to place their baby up for adoption and follows them through that process.  I knew- because of my soft heart for adoption- that I would probably feel many emotions while watching the show, but watched it anyway.  (Did I mention that I tend to have a little strong willed tendancies? LOL)
These young ladies were hardened by life and often didn't paint a pretty picture of our world.  To be honest, it was so real and gritty that I almost quit watching the show.  Often the women are shown drinking and smoking while pregnant and as they describe what has happened to them leading up to this decision; my heart just broke.  Too graphic to be shared in this arena, but the worst of our world happening in the lives of these truly young ladies.  They were all young, but far from naive and were very cynical about their lives, futures and chances to improve their situations.

I think I expected a sugary, sweet portrayal of ladies sacrifically giving of their children to loving homes, but instead watched the sharp agonizing emotions of  grieving loss wrapped in complete realness.   No matter the reasons for making the decision to give your child to another family, there is an almost unbearable loss.   It was so overwhelmingly hard to watch as my heart broke for them and yet rejoiced for the waiting families who were experiencing one of the greatest joys life has for us.  Many of the waiting families had been through such heartache and loss as they longed for a child and to see these hardened-yet vulnerable- ladies give them that treasured gift was humbling and beautiful.

I have always related my relationship with God as being adopted through Christ, but to see a worldly reflection of that in life was so humbling and beautiful to my soul.  I, too, came from a worldly hard background- as all of us do- we are sinful creatures.  To see God waiting so lovingly patient with us to decide if this is the life we long for- one of lifelong worship and service of our Lord.  In the show, the birth moms were often grudgingly giving life to these families, but in our spiritual adoption, Christ willingly made the sacrifice to give us life. Do not think that it was easy- however- He gave his life willingly, but it was the most difficult challenge for Christ to separate Himself from the Father. He did it for us just as those birth moms sacrificed their personal desires and wishes for their children to ensure they had a better life.

I cried for their sacrifice.  I cried for the awaiting parents- rejoicing in tears.  I cried that life had made them so hardened and for all they had experienced.  I also cried because of the sacrifice God made for me. 

"God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.  This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure."  Ephesians 1:5

"So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves.  Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children.  Now we call him, 'Abba, Father'."  Romans 8:15

Father, thank you for this beautiful reflective picture of your sacrifice for me... for me, Father.  I am your child- through great sacrifice- I am your child.  How can I not praise you?  How can I not worship you?  Let me not forget to treasure my life each day as it is a gift wrapped in selfless love.

No comments:

Post a Comment