Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Run Cricket Run!

Caleb has always loved bugs and studying them.  He is the typical boy that you might find crickets, lizards, and yes- even snakes- in his possession.   One Sunday we were in the middle of church when Caleb needed to go to the restroom.  When he returned, he was a little wiggly, and when I investigated more, he admitted that he had some live crickets in his pocket! ugh!  I promise, I can't even make this stuff up!

So, one time on a trip to one of our local dollar stores, I found a bug collecting kit that came with a plastic bug holder with a built in magnifying glass.  It also came with tweezers and a cool strap so you could "wear" your bug kit.  Now, for a boy that loves bugs, that IS the coolest gift and it was only a $1!!! (Score me!)

He loved that kit and wore it out, but I began to notice a disturbing trend.  He would often collect several bugs and study them for a day or two (or four) and forget that they needed to be released in order to survive.  Now, I do NOT like bugs, but even I started feeling bad for them- so much so that I began releasing the creatures whenever Caleb would go to bed.  During one such time, Caleb had caught a cricket and I tried to get the cricket out of the bug kit, but it would not come out.  After several attempts, (and much squealing on my part) I finally opened the door to the bug kit and left it where the cricket could escape.  Sadly, the cricket was still backed into the corner of the clear container the next morning.  It died soon afterward.

I was stricken with the thought, "Why hadn't it escaped?  Freedom was just outside the open door?"  Isn't this like us, though?  We want the freedom to live how we want, to do whatever we want, to get whatever we want, and yet only in Christ is there true freedom.  So, we back ourselves into the corner of our comfortable lives and just wait for whatever comes next.

Before Christ, we are just living looking out for ourselves- we don't know to do anything different- but, living for ourselves just doesn't satisfy.  It may feel good for a time, but you come to a point when it becomes meaningless.... pointless.  This is because we were created to praise and glorify our Maker and our Savior and living a life without Christ is exactly that.... meaningless....pointless.  It may seem that living a life for Christ is about rules and restrictions, but that is just a lie from the evil one- it is freedom!  Freedom from sins, freedom from heartache, freedom from unforgiveness, freedom from loneliness,  and freedom from bondage because One loved you so much to give His all for you.  Only Christ did that for me- how can I not love Him?

Living in this world is hard and I couldn't make it if I didn't have Christ- He has saved me and He saves me daily from so much.  For those of us that are in Christ, we often choose to hang on to things from our "old self" days- guilt, addictions, unhealthy relationships.... We have freedom, but we cling on to the past due to fear--- fear of change, fear of the unknown, and even fear of God truly using us to change the world (remember Moses?).    Please know that you are not alone- remember in Christ you have all resources available to you by God through the Holy Spirit and He desires that you just trust and follow Him.  Isaiah 41:13 says, "For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." (NIV)  In the Message version it says, "Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.  I'm telling you, 'Don't panic.  I'm right here to help you.'"

God wants to offer you freedom from your sins, pasts, regrets and offer you a beautiful, rich life.  Don't hesitate, but run to the open door of freedom He offers and know that you will never be alone again.  He is right there making that first step with you- taste and breathe in your soul that sweet life-giving freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment