Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What are You Waiting For?

Remember as a child waiting on Christmas Eve for the first morning glimmer in order to wake your parents to see what Santa had nestled under the tree for  you?  I still feel a spark of excitement as I recall the anticipation, excitement, and sheer joy!  Even in the midst of such wonderful emotions, waiting is still hard- one Christmas my brother and I decided to stay in the same room on Christmas Eve and we dared each other to go and see what was under the tree- we just couldn't wait!

Waiting is harder still when in the midst of trial though.  As a single young woman, I hated waiting for God to bring the right person He had for me.  I saw other couples and wondered why I hadn't met my "match" and I sometimes bought into the lie of loneliness.  As a young married couple, Reagan and I often waited to see how God would provide for bills, expenses or for a job that would provide more income than what we were surviving on.  Later in our marriage, we believed that God had put on our heart to adopt a child and we began the "waiting game" as my heart was so desperate to hold another child.  I also flash back to a stark room waiting to see the doctor walk in and let us know if our son- who was not breathing when we last saw him- was still with us.  I have also waited on God for explanation as to why bad things have happened in my world and why I had to hurt so much.  A few years ago we waited on a job to replace the one my husband lost when his company had several lay offs. Waiting....       waiting...           waiting...

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."
                                                                                                                    Micah 7:7 NIV

When I reflect back, however, all I can recall is God's faithfulness.  In each and every situation, God was faithful- even when it seemed doubtful in the midst of the abyss.  In all those times, I saw God's mighty hand at work most clearly because all I could do was wait on Him.  I was at the end of "me" and all my efforts and run their course.  He just needed me to yield my heart, my plans, my will to Him.  God does really love us and He does work all things out for our good, and while we may doubt, question, and turn our back to Him- He never leaves us.  He never lets us go.  He never turns His back on us.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."                                                              Romans 8:28 NIV

I don't know what you are waiting on right now, but I know that God is still at work in the situation.  He can turn even our mistakes into purpose because He is capable of making beauty out of turmoil and ashes.  Don't give up- He is not finished with you!  Remember, too, this world is not our home and all hurts, disappointments and pain is temporary.  Praise Him while you wait on Him!  Praise HIM!



No comments:

Post a Comment