Friday, December 21, 2012

On Guard

Sometimes, as a parent, I wonder if we are doing enough.  Parenting is hard.  I want to raise sons that will honor the Father, and live a life that is reflective of that.  In the midst of all the hard challenges we face in the parenting journey, I sometimes doubt myself- especially as a homeschool parent.  It is so much easier to just "do what everyone else does" than to be different, to stand out.  I, like most who homeschool, often worry about the future of our sons and if we are doing enough.


Today, we stopped by a store while in the midst of running some errands.  Caleb, our oldest, noticed something painted on a vehicle close to us that would not be good for little eyes- or adult eyes for that matter- to see.  He stated, "Mom, make sure you do not look at that vehicle.  It says something that we do not need to look at."  I felt such pride at the realization that he, at 12, is already trying to be on guard for our spiritual well-being.  I thanked him, but told him to make sure and "protect" himself as well and not look at it.  He readily agreed.  He is learning to be an man of integrity and that lesson will carry him far in life.  Other skills he can learn, but a life lived for Christ in hope and genuine faith is the greatest confirmation that we did our job, as his parents. 

I know we have much still ahead of us, and I know that with God's grace we will walk those tedious days ahead.  But,...  I am thankful for the hope and joy brought by Caleb thoughts and actions today.  Thank you, Father, for the glimpse into my son's heart today and for the hope that springs anew from my heart about his future and the plans You have for him.  Grow his love for You in his tender heart and seal it for the plans You have for Him.   

1 comment:

  1. What a great gift of discernment God has given Caleb! Many a man twice his age doesn't have that skill.

    ReplyDelete