Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Heart Went Dark

Several years ago we purchased a pre-lit Christmas tree.  This year when we put up the tree, half of the lights were off and I could not get them to work.  I decided to buy some additional lights to string on the tree and all was good until yesterday.  Now, there is a dark strip right in the heart of our tree.  As I inspected it, I couldn't find the cause of the darkness, but it is there staring me in the face.

Yesterday, part of the heart of America went dark as well.  A gunman chose to take the lives of 20 children, 12 girls girls and 8 boys, as well as 6 adults who died trying to protect the children entrusted to their care.  Suddenly, we as Americans are facing the darkness... it is staring us in the face.  Many are angry, frustrated and focused on "fixing" what went wrong.  Most of us are hurting and frightened by the prospect of a world where our children are the chosen victims.  Our senses are tinted with fear and grief.  Suddenly, we are fully aware of how vulnerable we are to the darkness of our society.

I am not going to fix the lights on our Christmas tree.  It is a reminder that we live in a dark and fallen world.  I need to see the reminder of that and draw my children into my embrace.  I need to tell them that I love them deeply.  I need to be reminded that there are presents that will go unopened, cuddles that will occur no longer and Christmas stockings that will remain empty because families were robbed of precious lives yesterday.  I also need to realize that I am to be a light for Christ in this dark world.  Just as the lights shining brightly in my Christmas tree bring joy and hope- that is what I am to be for this world.  Let us fall on our knees today and ask God to make our light brighter, in His strength, and let us beg Him for peace, mercy and grace for the families who suffered such indescribable loss yesterday. 

Father, please heal our brokenness.  Please whisper Your heart to ours and allow us to be a light for Your Kingdom in this world that suddenly seems darker than ever.  We do not need solutions.  We need You.  Stir a desire for You in our hearts- one that cannot be quenched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment