Monday, December 17, 2012

Up the Mountain

I love the mountains.... the colors I see that appeal to my eyes and the rich mix of scents that flood my nostrils.  The crisp coolness that pricks my skin and awakens my soul to new experiences that unfold while I am there.  I love the mountains...unless it is a spiritual mountain that God is asking me to climb.  My human nature wants to find the "short-cut" road through the valley that would enable me to miss the difficult climb.  I think I am like most of us out there.  We want to draw closer and more like the Father, but we just don't want that journey to have any mountains to climb along the way.  Yesterday, there were several statements in the message at our church that really convicted me in regards to my attitude regarding those difficult challenges we face.

These were stated and /or prepared by our pastor, Garry Jordan.

"The road to victory is always through the trial."

"When you can't see the way, God is the way."

"Trials do three things for us:
1. Make us ready for God's answer.
2. Helps us learn what to count/value in life.  To see and what God sees and know what God knows.
3. To gain victory over the evil one."

"'I will make this mountain a way for you.' said God."

"Victory is not gained by what we do but by who we believe and receive from the Father."

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding  fault, and it will be given to you.  James 1:2-5

My friend, I know that trials and temptations are not our natural source of joy.  However, when you have climbed the mountain and reached the top, there is great joy.  Sometimes, God asks to do things that aren't natural to us, but they are always for our benefit and good.  I believe God is asking us to find joy- not in the trial- but in what He is going to do through it for us.  Whatever the struggle you are facing, God is working out the details for your good, benefit, growth, maturity and strength.  In the end, you will have a much broader perspective of God and His love for you and there is no greater mountain-top experience than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment