Monday, February 4, 2013

Perfectly Imperfect



At Christmas, Reagan purchased this watch for me as a surprise.  I had originally bought one for a Christmas party at church and fell so in love with it.  I had looked online and at the store where I had made the original purchase, but they did not have any others available.  So, he drove to another city to buy this watch for me- did I mention how much I love him?  I think why I love this watch so much is all the "bling" on it!  I am a girly girl and love some sparkles- maybe it helps make up for all the camo in my world, right?  Of all the gifts I received, this was probably one of my favorites because of how much effort he went to in order to get it for me.  I have worn it several times and at one point, I realized that one of the stones around the dial had fallen out. (Can you see it?  Look closely around the "5".)  Disappointed, I hadn't worn it in a few days.  This past Saturday Reagan asked me about the watch and I made a commitment to myself to wear it to church yesterday.... surely, no one would notice the one little stone missing.....
 
As I sat in church, I looked down at the watch and thought again of how much I really loved it- except for that one missing stone- I began to ponder ways of "fixing" it.  Suddenly, I felt God speaking to my heart, You don't like imperfection, do you?  If it has a blemish or imperfection, you tend to love it less.  I love you despite imperfection and sin.  Ouch.  The truth cut deep, and yet my eyes suddenly could see the truth in it.  I do long for perfection- especially in the details of things, but will I ever really experience perfection this side of heaven?  Several thoughts hit me as I have considered all this....
 
That longing for perfection is truly the longing for heaven- my true home- within my soul.  The only place where we will find honest perfection is in heaven. 
 
Sometimes, I look for perfection in others and yet, no one is capable of that.  Is that fair for my husband, kids, friends, and family to have to try and live up to an unattainable standard?
 
God loves me despite my faults, failures, sins and stubbornness.  If he can love me like that, then it should be my goal to love others despite their short-comings.
 
I tend to look down on myself if I am not capable of achieving all that I think I should.... yet, if the God of the universe can love me despite my failures, why can't I give myself a break?  I will never be perfect, but I can rejoice in His perfect plan in my life that uses my imperfections for HIS glory!
 
I will wear my watch proudly and will think of my Savior and how He uses my flaws and imperfections to benefit His kingdom.  May my heart flood with the realization of His great love for me despite them.  What an incredible God we serve, Friend!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment