Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Walk

Yesterday, we found ourselves in the sterile environment of our doctor's office as our youngest was sick, again.  The poor fella has been plagued over the past month with one thing after another.  This time we have been dealing with breathing issues as a result of an ongoing ear infection that will not go away.  In an attempt to help him recover as soon as possible, the doctor orders an injection - he even spells it... S...H...O...T.  The older boys cringe and begin to fret for their younger brother knowing the pain that would inevitably be coming.  The nurse comes in and with a sad look begins "prepping" and Kendall, who has fully realized what is happening, begins to panic.  When all is done, he weeps and sobs in my arms fully aware of the pain and hurt coming from his leg.  All are sympathetic, but we knew the necessity of it all.  What greater pain would await if his condition worsened and we found ourselves in the hospital?

As we arrived home, Kendall would not put any weight on that leg forcing me to carry him in the house.  I found him later scooting around the living room on his bottom trying to get to a toy he wanted.  Apparently, the leg was sore and using it caused him discomfort and pain.  So, he sat.... waited and called for us to do his bidding for him.  Soon, I realized that I had to make him walk and use it or the soreness would not ease- I gave him some pain medication to help, but then Reagan and I required that he walk and use that leg. It was hard to see him cry and agonize in the process, but we knew it must be done or the pain would last longer and be extended.

My sweet Father spoke to my heart in this event.... I have been through painful events that were like "shots" to help me grow and improve in my spiritual condition.  They hurt and disappointed me.  I cried and sobbed in the arms of my Father wishing that the pain hadn't been necessary.  He knew it was needed, necessary, and in my best interest.  The soreness would continue and I would want to be still and just sit in my misery.  God would ease my pain through the spiritual pain killer... the Holy Spirit... and encourage me to get up and walk.  He knows that only in walking with Him daily will I be able to move past the soreness of that event that hurt so deeply.  So, I walk.... but it hurts... I cry and agonize in the process.... but the Father holds my right hand and encourages me to take the next step.   The pain would not ease if I stopped living, I must walk to work through it.

Have you been there Friend?  Are you living it now?  Walking in the midst of pain is so hard, but it is what we need to get past those events that caused the original pain.  He will not leave us though- He is ever by our side, taking each painful step along with us.  Our tears resonate deep within Him and flood Him full of compassion and great love.  He hears your cries, but He must do what is best for you.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.... For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." (Isaiah 41:10, 13 NIV)

Walk, my friend, and the pain will ease- the hardest steps are the first ones but they are never taken alone if you are in Christ.  Cling to His strength and walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment