Monday, February 25, 2013

Walk Purposefully (Part One)

"Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day.  Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released.  Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."  Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young

This morning, as I read those words, my racing mind stopped in its tracks.  I had been so lost in all the needs and duties of this day as I read those words that I truly realized were meant for me on this day.  So much vies for my attention and too often I am plagued by the  needs, distractions, worries and fears that swirl at my feet like raging waters ready to consume my day, my mind, and my heart.  In the midst of it all, I tend to want to race into my day- facing it head on and ready to accomplish much- and yet, it comes at the sacrificial price of time with my Father.  Instead, my Father wants me to slow down and walk a purposeful journey with the One who has conquered the death and the grave and who gives me freedom and life!  He directs my course one step at a time, but I must spend time with Him each day to know which direction He is leading me.

As I pondered all this, I thought of Peter in the swells of a raging storm.  Read in Matthew 14:23-33.

"After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone. Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!” But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! ” Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed." (Matthew 14:23-33 NLT)

This passage is so rich with insight and meaning for us, as believers, but I want to focus on the fact that Jesus called Peter to get out of the boat of self-sufficiency into the raging waters of this world.  Peter was in a seemingly secure boat, but the waters were raging and threatening to overturn them.  I tend to want the security of control and managing things in my world.  Is that your personality as well?  When problems arise, I immediately begin the process of figuring out the steps for resolution rather than finding myself falling on my knees in prayer.  Thus, my mind wants to take off like a racehorse to tackle the day ahead of me, but all the needs begin swirling around me- threatening to overwhelm me.  My friend, all of our attempts to control and "fix" problems will fall short.  We are designed for dependence on the Father.  The crazy part is that while we fight for control, the freedom and joy we long for is found in letting it all go to the Father's more than capable hands.

Then, they saw Him- Jesus- doing the impossible by walking on the raging storms.  He does that for me, too.   When I finally look to Him - ever so desperately- I see Him walking towards me, calmly, in the midst of my storm.  The disciplines first reaction was to be fearful and too often that is my reaction as well because God's ways are not our ways.  We tend to want the security of predictability, but a life in Christ is not going to be predictable.  However, He gives us the promise that while the seasons of our life are continually changing that He is always there in the midst of the chaos.  Jesus brings them comfort- Don't be afraid.  Take courage.  I am here!  Without a doubt, there is no problem that is beyond God.  He is all power, all knowledge, all peace and fully capable.... no matter what you are facing, He is all you need.  He whispers those same words to your soul....Don't be afraid.  Take courage.  I am here! 

Today, in whatever you are wanting to control and manage, lay it at His feet.  Choose to walk purposefully with Him and claim the peace and security only found in the abandonment of personal control.  He always walks on water when we seek Him in our personal storms.

Tomorrow, we will finish this passage.... God willing!

No comments:

Post a Comment