Saturday, February 2, 2013

My Life, My Offering

I had an opportunity this morning to get up early and spend some time alone with my Father before all the activities and craziness of this day began.  As some of you may have noticed, I have been reading quite a bit in the Message version of the scriptures.  I find that sometimes reading a different version opens my eyes up to things I might not see- spiritually- reading a version that I have memorized or have read often.  It isn't unusual for me to get hooked on a particular version for awhile, and then I switch again and change it up. 

I read a passage this morning that has really made me think...

"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." (Romans 12:1, 2 MSG)

In many ways, I have tried to view my life as an offering to the Lord.  I think that is part of why I see Him so much in the ordinary events in my life and as I parent my children.  However, sometimes I can lose my focus in the sea of ordinary.  It is so easy to see God in the major events- good and bad- that happen to our family, but when each day seems to mirror the next, the task of viewing my life as an offering to the King of Kings gets harder.  I too easily get caught up in all the daily needs and tasks that must draw my attention.  As many of you know, our oldest son has epilepsy and I have shared my heart about it many times, but especially in the post, Grace for Today .  We control it very well, but one of the medications he has to take for it often has side effects that we must deal with.

Yesterday, I had a very busy agenda, but Caleb became ill after taking his medication and had to rest for a few hours.  This was not working with my plans and to be totally honest, I became frustrated- not at him, but with the medication and illness.  God reminded me that He was in control of our day and my agenda and all that I truly needed was to look to Him for wisdom and guidance.  By the end of the day, most everything that I really needed to accomplish was done and I saw God in the timing and details of the day.

As I read these verses in the early dawn of this day, I was reminded that simply seeking Him, being obedient in the mundane tasks of a day and responding quickly to what He calls us to do any given situation is a beautiful offering to Him.  This also changes my view in parenting- do I just want obedient kids or do I want them to view their actions as an offering to the Father and let that guide their actions and the decisions they make.  Wow..... there is a difference isn't there?  Am I living that kind of lifestyle before them?

My prayer today is this.... Father, take my everyday, ordinary life- when I am sleeping, eating, going to work, and walking as Your offering.  I want to embrace all that You do for me, Father.  Help me not to blend with this world, but my focus be on you- my King!  Help me to be genuinely changed from the inside out with eyes that are ready to see what You want me to do and feet that are quick to respond.  Please bring out a spiritual maturity in me Father and let me see you in all the simple events of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment