Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Walk Purposefully (Part Two)

"After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone. Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!” But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! ” Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed." (Matthew 14:23-33 NLT)

Have you ever felt God was asking you to walk on water?  To do something that seemed so impossible to your earthly senses?  Maybe journey through a painful process that no one should have to step in the mire of?  In those moments, God enables you to walk on water with Him.  He makes you what you could never be on your own and provides all you need to not just survive, but thrive in the midst of it.  In his fear, Peter cried out to Jesus.  Christ brings words of comfort, but Peter needed more... he needed to be near- to test and see- that this figure was truly His Lord.  Jesus invites Him to walk on the water with Him.  Peter amazingly walks on the water despite the raging storm that threatened all around Him.  Yesterday, we discussed when God calls us out of the boat of our personal security.  My friend, if we must choose between staying in the boat of our own making- self sufficiency- or walking on water amidst the storm through Christ, I choose Christ.  We are never safer and closer to the heart of God than when we are desperately clinging to our hope and faith in Him. 

Peter does the impossible...until... his focus changes from his King to his troubles.  Oh, how I can relate to Peter so many times.  His heart wants to be wholly used for the Father, but his complete humanness causes him to stumble so many times.  I, like Peter, can do the impossible when I am focused on my King, but I allow my focus to shift to the circumstances that I am walking through and I begin to sink. Moments when we have peace when there should be none.  Moments that we have the right words when our mind cannot process.  Moments when we are stronger than humanly possible for the pain we are dealing with.  Such moments, are moments that we do the impossible through the enabling of the Holy Spirit.   Jesus comes and saves Peter immediately, but questions him..."Why did you doubt me?"  That hits close to home.  Why have I doubted God?  Why have I questioned His abilities, purpose, plan and judgement in my personal circumstances?  He has never failed me.

The others watching begin to recognize Jesus as the true Son from this experience.  My friend, you never know what kind of witness you are being to others around you.  Many times, that witness is at it strongest when Christ calls you to walk on the water of your struggles with Him.  Others won't understand why you get out of the boat.   They stand in awe as you not only survive, but thrive despite it all.  Point them to Jesus; so they too, can recognize and worship the King of Kings.

Do you think Peter was the same after that experience?  I don't.  No one who walks on water with Christ is ever the same afterward.  They are stronger and have a new view on life- one from outside the boat of their own making.  Life just isn't the same and it isn't meant to be.  My friend, whatever you are facing today, God is inviting you near.  He is inviting you to live beyond the circumstances threatening to drown you today.  Do not lose heart.  Do not look at the raging storm, but focus on the Savior.  He will hold you up and invite you to have the faith in Him to walk above the swelling waters.  Cling to Him and walk on....

No comments:

Post a Comment