Monday, March 18, 2013

God, With Us

"I am with you always."  Matthew 28:20

Yesterday, as I worked with a group of three and four year old kids at church; we learned that verse.  I think I repeated it with them about 20 times during our short hour together, but each time they quoted it, my heart soared.  There is just nothing like a young child learning the scriptures and memorizing them.  At our church, the two year old on up learns at least one verse per month and the older kids learn at least one a week.  The verse this month, in the preschool area, is Matthew 28:20. 

It is a simple verse, but how many of us truly grasp it.  God- the Holy, perfect Creator of all that is known- is with us always.  We never leave His sight, His grasp and thoughts of us never leave His consciousness.  We are never alone.  This is a beautiful promise to quote and share, but when the full blown reality of the harshness of life hits us, do we recognize this truth?  When you find yourself empty of energy, funds, hope and strength.... does the reality that He is always with us truly transform us?

Think of Joshua.... he had witnessed the plagues under the scorching Pharaoh in Egypt as well as God's deliverance.  He saw the Red Sea part and was one of the first set of eyes to see the promised land.  He became the chosen leader to lead the Israelites into that same promised land forty years later.  How do you think he felt sitting on the banks of the Jordan River?  He had seen what God wanted for the Israelite people, and he had believed that God could deliver it into their hands.  Others doubted..... now, God had chosen him to cross that great river and take this multitude into a land flowing like milk and honey. 

"After the death of Moses the servant of God , God spoke to Joshua, Moses' assistant: "Moses my servant is dead. Get going. Cross this Jordan River, you and all the people. Cross to the country I'm giving to the People of Israel. I'm giving you every square inch of the land you set your foot on—just as I promised Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon east to the Great River, the Euphrates River—all the Hittite country—and then west to the Great Sea. It's all yours. All your life, no one will be able to hold out against you. In the same way I was with Moses, I'll be with you. I won't give up on you; I won't leave you. Strength! Courage! You are going to lead this people to inherit the land that I promised to give their ancestors. Give it everything you have, heart and soul. Make sure you carry out The Revelation that Moses commanded you, every bit of it. Don't get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you're going. And don't for a minute let this Book of The Revelation be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night, making sure you practice everything written in it. Then you'll get where you're going; then you'll succeed. Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God , your God, is with you every step you take." (Joshua 1:1-9 MSG)

The desert heat had worn them down and forty years of "what ifs" in their heads and hearts had humbled them.  Their fears had cost them greatly, and now, in obedience, they would witness the blessings of God firsthand.  What is God's final charge to them as final preparations are being made?  "I'll be with you.  I won't give up on you; I won't leave you.  Strength! Courage!...Give it everything you have, heart and soul."  My friend, I think God desires the same thing from us.  To recognize that He is always with us and will give us the strength and courage we need to face today, tomorrow and the countless "moments" ahead.  Just as he commanded the Israelites, we must focus on the scriptures He has given us and meditate on it day and night, putting it into practice so we can be victorious in all that He has for us.  I want to live a victorious life.  Sometimes, that victory is simply trusting He is enough to carry me through a difficult moment and trusting that it has a purpose.  Whatever you are facing in this day, God IS with you and He will not leave you.  Have strength!  Have courage!  Give this life all you have, heart and soul... our promised land awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment