Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Imperfect Humanness

This morning, I have enjoyed some quiet free moments.  I began reading in Luke 22 as Jesus took part in the Passover meal just hours prior to his arrest and execution.   On Sunday, our church had communion in honor of our Savior, but I was unable to take part in it due to needing additional help in the preschool area.  So tonight, Reagan and I plan to have a family communion here in our home.  Have I mentioned lately just how much I love and appreciate him???

In order to prepare my heart and mind for our family communion together, I read in Luke 22.  I have always marveled and awed over the love of Christ that He would give up His life for sinful humanity.  I still can't fully wrap my mind around that.... can you?  Today, however, I was drawn to His time in the garden beforehand and the mental torment that He went through.

"Leaving there, he went, as he so often did, to Mount Olives. The disciples followed him. When they arrived at the place, he said, "Pray that you don't give in to temptation." He pulled away from them about a stone's throw, knelt down, and prayed, "Father, remove this cup from me. But please, not what I want. What do you want?" At once an angel from heaven was at his side, strengthening him. He prayed on all the harder. Sweat, wrung from him like drops of blood, poured off his face. He got up from prayer, went back to the disciples and found them asleep, drugged by grief. He said, "What business do you have sleeping? Get up. Pray so you won't give in to temptation." No sooner were the words out of his mouth than a crowd showed up, Judas, the one from the Twelve, in the lead. He came right up to Jesus to kiss him. Jesus said, "Judas, you would betray the Son of Man with a kiss?" When those with him saw what was happening, they said, "Master, shall we fight?" One of them took a swing at the Chief Priest's servant and cut off his right ear. Jesus said, "Let them be. Even in this." Then, touching the servant's ear, he healed him. Jesus spoke to those who had come—high priests, Temple police, religion leaders: "What is this, jumping me with swords and clubs as if I were a dangerous criminal? Day after day I've been with you in the Temple and you've not so much as lifted a hand against me. But do it your way—it's a dark night, a dark hour." (Luke 22:39-53 MSG)

Christ was torn- ever so desperately- between His perfect Holiness and His perfect Humaness.  He knew what His Father expected and the purpose behind it.  It was for us.  Our redemption was at stake and a perfect lamb had to be sacrificed... He was that perfect lamb.  Yet, His perfect Humaness, that enables Him to identify with our needs and faults, struggled.  Never underestimate His sacrifice as it cost SO much.... ultimately, His perfect Holiness prevented Him from doing anything but pleasing His Father.   I wish I could please the Father so well, but too often my imperfect humaness dominates my decisions, thoughts and efforts.  "We find the Christian life so difficult because we seek for God's blessing, while we live in our own will.  We make our plans and choose our own work, and then we ask Him to give us His blessing." (Andrew Murray)  Ouch!  It is so true and yet so hard to accept.... but, it is our reality. 

To become more reflective of the Christ I love, I must look to how He handled the decision set before Him.  First, He went to a quiet place and prayed.  He went to the Father- who He always wanted to please.  I need to do the same when in a difficult place in my walk with the Father.  Second, He had others pray for Him.  He shared that He needed to be "carried" to the Father and had His closest disciples lift Him up to God.  Another realization, is that Christ was honest about His anxiety with the Father- this realization was not for God, but for Christ to share His vulnerability.  I have to be honest with the Father about my feelings, failures, needs and anxieties- not for God's sake, but for mine.  Finally, Jesus put the will of God before His own..... and isn't that what a life lived for Christ is about?  The prayers lifted, the heart honestly opened and choosing what He would desire for us knowing that ultimately it is for our best interest....

Today, as I reflect on the Lord's Supper, I cannot help but think about the sacrifice He made for me.  Not just on the cross, but in His life as the Holy of Holys veiled by frail humanity.  Thank you Jesus.... for by Your stripes, Your life example and Your sacrificial love.... I am healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment