Tuesday, March 12, 2013

To Save a Car

Last Friday night, our family had a fun opportunity to go with our small group to a local arcade and mini-golf establishment.  The weather was cool and we decided to enjoy the arcade games inside.  The boys were having a great deal of fun- even Kendall who played several games with a old, silver Corvette toy car held tight within his grasp.

At one point, Kendall became very agitated and I soon figured out that he had been driving his Corvette car up "road" that was really a skeet-ball ramp and it had fallen into part of the arcade machine itself.  I looked over the situation and put out a SOS call to Reagan.  He, too, looked over the situation and determined that the car was not going to be rescue.  I rationalized that it was an older, dented, and heavily used toy car.  It could be replaced for about a dollar and at that point, I would gladly have purchased a newer model.   That was what I shared with Caleb, who was suddenly aware of what had happened.  I was NOT prepared for the look of horror that crossed his face and tears that began to well in his eyes....."That was MY toy car.  I let Kendall play with it.  Please get it out!" he said.  Ugh!  To me, this car was a cheap toy- easily replaceable- that was heavily used.  It was a minor loss.....but, that was not how Caleb saw it.  He viewed that car with a heavy attachment built through countless hours spent together.  Every dent and scratch was a memory...he loved that car and it was profoundly HIS.

Caleb shared his plight with a worker at the arcade and she looked over the situation.  I read the look in her eyes and realized it was not going to be an easy rescue.  I immediately began to comfort Caleb and let him know that we would try to replace it as I thanked the worker.  A little later, the same worker found Caleb with the car in hand.  Miracles do still happen!  Now, a part of me really wanted to do a little happy dance over the rescued car, and yet, another part of me wanted to be frustrated by the attachment Caleb had with it.  Mostly, I was a little irritated with the toddler, but it was a perfect tunnel for driving a car..... Then, God spoke to my heart, how often do I place a limited value on other people in this world- maybe because they don't fit my "mold" or they seem to dented and scratched to have value.  That isn't how God sees them.  He has a heavy attachment built through countless moments seeking and searching for them.  Every "dent and scratch" is a memory.... He loves those individuals and they are profoundly HIS....  Oh, Father, forgive me!  Please help me to see the value in everyone I meet -even if they don't fit my picture- You love them deeply.  They have value.  They are loved.  You sent the Son to die for them just as He was sacrificed for the sins staining my soul.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another." (Galatians 5:24-26 NLT)

If we are to follow the Spirit's leading, then we must change and reshape our view of others..... our view cannot be formed through the mold of conceit, jealousy or the intention of provoking.  If we belong to Christ, we have all nailed sins to His cross.  We, instead, must live out a profound love and calling that draws others to our Savior.  Let us view everyone we meet as God's precious creation- one that is profoundly HIS and love them in such a way that their heart begins to long for their Creator!!   

My friend, sadly we would spend far more time searching for a toy car lost in a game than we would seeking and saving the lost souls in this world.... Father, help us to love them as You love them.  Burden our heart for those who need your redemption, beautiful grace, and complete healing.  Give us a love for them and reshape our view of their value....

No comments:

Post a Comment