Monday, March 25, 2013

I am FREE!

Our youngest son, Kendall, just turned three recently.  As a result, many of our friends and family have asked him recently how old he is.  He desperately tries to hold up three fingers and then says, "I am free!"  I just laugh at his declaration.  I tried last night to help him hear the "th" sound by saying, "Th...th...th...three."  His response was, "F...f....f....free!"  No matter how hard I tried, he just doesn't hear the difference yet. I know it will come in time, but I love that he shouts out to the world that he is free.

It hit me that his declaration is my own.  Isn't that what this blog has turned out to be?  An opportunity for me to share my struggles, growing insights and to shout out to the world, at large, that I am FREE!  Free from the sin that entangles, the heartache that destroys, the disappointments that would dictate the world's value of my life, and free from living a life that has no impact.  I cannot declare my freedom unless I acknowledge the one who bought and paid for my liberation through His own life-blood.  My Jesus, my Savior, my Friend, and the lover of my soul- He, who saw me torn and broken, saw my promise and purpose.  He saw what I could be through His redeeming love and gave of His life so that I might have a new one.  What kind of love is that?  One that is only found through Christ....

We search for it in this world, but nothing compares.  All other attempts fall short and leave us empty and longing..... but, not the love of Christ.  It fills us to overflowing and enables us to love others with a love that is beyond ourselves.  We are not just FREE from the things that hinder, but we are FREE to give as well.  We suddenly find ourselves able to bless and generously pour out of love, time, finances, and energy into the needs and individuals around us.  Freedom gives freedom.

"Let all who fear the Lord repeat: “His faithful love endures forever.” In my distress I prayed to the Lord , and the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" (Psalms 118:4-6 NLT- Emphasis mine)

"Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin. A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free." (John 8:34-36 NLT - Emphasis mine)

"Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives. Since we have been united with him in his death, we will also be raised to life as he was. We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin. And since we died with Christ, we know we will also live with him. We are sure of this because Christ was raised from the dead, and he will never die again. Death no longer has any power over him. When he died, he died once to break the power of sin. But now that he lives, he lives for the glory of God. So you also should consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ Jesus." (Romans 6:3-11 NLT - Emphasis mine)

My friend, we are free!  Why do we live as those who are still bound?  If this world fully saw and grasped a glimpse of the genuine freedom that we have in our Redeemer, we would not be able to handle the crowds that would come- ever so desperately- to find Him.  We must live out our freedom in Christ... not just for our sake, but for a world that needs to believe that wholeness is still real.  They must see us living in that freedom to need it themselves.  Let us declare.... I am FREE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment