Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Wife for Isaac

A burden had been growing within Abraham.  While he had much wealth and property, and yet, he did not have a wife for his beloved Isaac.  At that time, it was the parents' responsibility to arrange an appropriate partner for their child. Abraham knew that it was essential for Isaac to marry another of God's chosen people, but this was a challenge as they lived in the land that God had promised them that was surrounded by foreigners.  As a result, he sends one of his most faithful servants to find a wife for his son.  Can you imagine the weight of such a task on the servant?   The following passage is from Genesis 24.....

"The servant said, "I'm the servant of Abraham. God has blessed my master—he's a great man; God has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, servants and maidservants, camels and donkeys. And then to top it off, Sarah, my master's wife, gave him a son in her old age and he has passed everything on to his son. My master made me promise, 'Don't get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites in whose land I live. No, go to my father's home, back to my family, and get a wife for my son there.' I said to my master, 'But what if the woman won't come with me?' He said, ' God before whom I've walked faithfully will send his angel with you and he'll make things work out so that you'll bring back a wife for my son from my family, from the house of my father. Then you'll be free from the oath. If you go to my family and they won't give her to you, you will also be free from the oath.' "Well, when I came this very day to the spring, I prayed, ' God, God of my master Abraham, make things turn out well in this task I've been given. I'm standing at this well. When a young woman comes here to draw water and I say to her, Please, give me a sip of water from your jug, and she says, Not only will I give you a drink, I'll also water your camels—let that woman be the wife God has picked out for my master's son.' "I had barely finished offering this prayer, when Rebekah arrived, her jug on her shoulder. She went to the spring and drew water and I said, 'Please, can I have a drink?' She didn't hesitate. She held out her jug and said, 'Drink; and when you're finished I'll also water your camels.' I drank, and she watered the camels. I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel whose parents were Nahor and Milcah.' I gave her a ring for her nose, bracelets for her arms, and bowed in worship to God. I praised God, the God of my master Abraham who had led me straight to the door of my master's family to get a wife for his son. "Now, tell me what you are going to do. If you plan to respond with a generous yes, tell me. But if not, tell me plainly so I can figure out what to do next." Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is totally from God. We have no say in the matter, either yes or no. Rebekah is yours: Take her and go; let her be the wife of your master's son, as God has made plain." When Abraham's servant heard their decision, he bowed in worship before God. Then he brought out gifts of silver and gold and clothing and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave expensive gifts to her brother and mother. He and his men had supper and spent the night. But first thing in the morning they were up. He said, "Send me back to my master." (Genesis 24:34-54 MSG)

One thing I love about this lesson is how Abraham's faith had been so contagious that even his servants longed to please the Father!  I believe God longs for all of us to live such passionate lives for the Father that our faith becomes contagious to all who share in our lives.   This servant had been faithful to Abraham, but Abraham had been a faithful witness to him.  So much so, that he seeks wisdom and confirmation from God as to who was the right girl for Isaac.  Then, when Rebekah's family agrees to allow her to leave, the servant bows in worship before God.  My friend, I can only hope that those I work with in various duties and tasks would see such a faith lived out before them.   We must be genuine and real in living the faith and grace we have been given!

Another conviction for me is in how important a Christ believing spouse is for our children.  Isaac having a spouse of the same faith was of desperate importance for Abraham- enough to allow a servant to make such a long journey to find the right girl for his son.  While we no longer arrange the marriages of our children, I still believe that it is important that we impart to our children the qualities that they should seek in a future spouse and pray for them.  From birth, Reagan and I have prayed for the future wives of our sons- that they love God only more than they love our son(s).  I have prayed for ladies of deep faith in the Father who long to serve and live for Him.  Beyond personalities, wealth or looks, my sons need wives who love the Savior they serve.  Unity in HIM will overcome all other differences. 

How about you?

In reflection, is your faith contagious to others around you?  Are there changes you need to make to become increasingly genuine and real in living out your faith?

Do you pray for your children's future spouse?  What do you pray for?

Father, please help me to live an honest life before others so that they might see You reflected in all my actions, words and deeds.  Give me  wisdom to know how best to live that life Father.  I plead before you Father for my sons and the wives You have already chosen for them.  May they be women that love You and long to honor You with their lives.  Allow their love for each other to grow deep and strong.  Please be the cord that binds them together, Father.  Amen.

Blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment