Monday, June 3, 2013

Fingerprints

In my house, I find many fingerprints.... on the back glass door, on the door frames, in the dusty furniture and even in some leftover birthday cake this morning.   I live in a house with people and they leave "their mark" aka fingerprints on things.  I clean (I really do clean!), but part of life is leaving fingerprints behind.  Truly living leaves marks.

This morning I have thought a great deal about the spiritual mark I leave behind on others?  Are the prints I leave behind encouraging and bring joy?  Do they lead to frustration and hurt?   I read in Genesis 21:22-34 finishing this noteworthy chapter in Abraham's life.  I just couldn't get past verse 22.  Join me.....

"About this time, Abimelech came with Phicol, his army commander, to visit Abraham. “God is obviously with you, helping you in everything you do,” Abimelech said. “Swear to me in God’s name that you will never deceive me, my children, or any of my descendants. I have been loyal to you, so now swear that you will be loyal to me and to this country where you are living as a foreigner.” Abraham replied, “Yes, I swear to it!” Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well that Abimelech’s servants had taken by force from Abraham’s servants. “This is the first I’ve heard of it,” Abimelech answered. “I have no idea who is responsible. You have never complained about this before.” Abraham then gave some of his sheep, goats, and cattle to Abimelech, and they made a treaty. But Abraham also took seven additional female lambs and set them off by themselves. Abimelech asked, “Why have you set these seven apart from the others?” Abraham replied, “Please accept these seven lambs to show your agreement that I dug this well.” Then he named the place Beersheba (which means “well of the oath”), because that was where they had sworn the oath. After making their covenant at Beersheba, Abimelech left with Phicol, the commander of his army, and they returned home to the land of the Philistines. Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree at Beersheba, and there he worshiped the Lord, the Eternal God. And Abraham lived as a foreigner in Philistine country for a long time." (Genesis 21:22-34 NLT)

Much of this passage focuses on the business deal between Abraham and Abimelech, but in verse 22, God spoke to me.  Abimelech says to Abraham, “God is obviously with you, helping you in everything you do."  What an incredible testimony!  Abimelech was not a believer in the one true God, but in seeing Abraham's life, he cannot deny the exist of God.  He sees God so deeply rooted and working in Abraham that he has to exclaim it.  I had the realization that I want God so deeply rooted and working in my life that the spiritual "fingerprints" I leave behind bring focus and glory to my Father.  The memories made, the words expressed, the hugs given, the love shared..... all are seen as an outpouring of His love expressed through me. 

To live such a life, means total dependence on Him by yielding all plans, hopes, dreams, longings, and commitments at His feet.  It means trusting Him to make your paths clear and for His provision along the way.  It's living with an eternal perspective rather than a temporal one.  It is not an easy task in my own strength- nay, impossible... BUT, in Him, all things are possible.  In Him, we can yield and lay down all things to pick up a life of influence that has been perfectly designed for each of us.  A life that leaves behind fingerprints of hope, joy, peace, patience, gentleness and self-control.  Fingerprints that scream out the existence of the one true God.  In the days ahead as I dust and clean away the fingerprints in my hone, let them be a reminder of the lasting fingerprints I can leave behind and of the gracious God that chooses each day to use me.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment