Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Losing My Cape

"I am Super Kendall!" exclaimed my three year old super hero as he flew out of my bedroom. It brought such a smile to my face as I reflected on the joy and fun of childhood. Within minutes he returned carrying his cape that had fallen off while he "flew" around the house. I did my best to reattach his super-power infused cape, but in just a few short moments, he would return. Over and over we tried, but his cape would not fit or stay attached the way he wanted. It seemed, that Super Kendall was not meant for flying today. 

Sometimes I relate to this situation. I try to become Super Mom by tackling countless tasks all at the same time. I fly through housework, homeschool, and all the tasks involved with my part time job. I study and write as well as send "tweets" and "posts". Deep down inside, however, I am tired. I sometimes feel like my super-power cape just doesn't want to stay attached. In reality, I was never meant to be more than a fragile, falible human. Alone, I cannot do all that this life requires, but in Him, there is no end to all the possibilities. His abilities are as unending as His presence!  I think He longs for me to shed by cape and cling to His capabilities. 

That may mean stopping and praying about what things should be in my life and what should not pull at my attention. It may mean turning somethings down. It could also mean stepping out of my comfort zone into His perfect plan for my life.  No matter what, it will require that I quit trying to attach the cape of my efforts on my shoulders.  Instead, I must trust in His capable plan, will, and authority for my life. 

Is it easy for you to pull the "cape of your personal efforts" off? 

What is the hardest thing for you to entrust into His care?

Is there something that God may mean for you to let go of? A new thing to pick up?

Father, today give us wisdom and discernment regarding all that vies for our attention. Help us to know what is part of Your plan for us and what is not. Give us strength and rest when we are weary and stir a longing for You deep within. We love you, Father!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment