Friday, June 21, 2013

On Mission

Seventeen years ago, I found myself in the hot west Texas heat spending my summer traveling between Lubbock and Amarillo serving in one church after another.  I was a part of a team of three college students that would travel all summer leading youth revivals in a different church each week.  The process leading up to that summer had been tedious and not just due to the training and preparations.  It had been a very emotional decision for me.  I had never been away from my family for such a long period of time, and it meant a summer without work or income.  This particular mission opportunity would allow us to get a portion of what was given in the love offering donations.  However, I had no idea if it would be enough to help me pay for school in the fall.  I loved my family and found it so difficult to consider leaving them with little to no communication over an entire summer.  Remember, this was before cell phones, texting and e-mail.... shocker, I know!  Regardless, I knew that God was leading me to "sacrifice" a summer to be a part of His will and plan.

At the end of the summer, I fell on the alter of a church as tears flooded by being.  I realized that I had been given so much more in that summer of serving than I could have ever given up.  I learned about service, love and unity.  I learned about independence and dependence on Him.  I learned about pains buried so deep and the freedom in healing.  I learned about different families- both in the home and in the church.  I learned about trust and faith by living in constant unknowns.  So many times, people would voice how awesome it was that I had been willing to give of myself for the entire summer....each time, my heart would crack a little.  How could I express the lie in that statement?  The riches of that summer far outweighed my paltry offering.  I felt like the widow who placed all she had in the offering and walked away with the blessing of Christ.

This is partly why Reagan and I have longed for our boys to have the opportunity to serve and minister to others.  We believe, even as children, they can serve and see what a beautiful thing it is to be a part of the service of Christ.  This week, as Caleb reflected on his mission experience of last year, the tears fell.  He gets it.  He gets that lives are changed for eternity and the broken walk away healed. Being even the smallest part of that, is an honor- privilege- and never a sacrifice.

Tomorrow, we will pack up a church van full of bedding, bags and children and head to Oklahoma.  It is my prayer that hearts and minds will be changed - from those being ministered to and those doing the ministry.  Let us not walk away the same, but with a new perspective- an eternal one.  Today, I read this Beth Moore quote, "We are never a more beautiful display of God's splendor than when willing to empty self for the lives of others."  Oh Lord, let us empty and pour ourselves out for you this week!



Please pray for us each time God brings us to mind.  I hope to blog at least a few times while I am there, but I do not know what to expect.  It is my hope to "pack" you in my bag and allow you to journey this week with us.  Please pray for the write words to be spoken, soft hearts, and His Spirit to be at work-even now- preparing the way.  Pray for physical healing for me as I have been battling a cold the past 24 hours and desperately want to feel well.  Please pray for our group to draw closer to each other during the week.

Thank you for your love and support!  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment