Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just Relax

Sometimes I feel like parenthood is a tennis match going on within the confines of my mind.  Some moments I feel such triumph and victory only to feel the harshness of failure and disappointment soon after.  Trying to train young minds and lead them into understanding and obedience is a daunting task.  Finding balance as a parent seems even harder.

One moment, I feel tremendous victory as my boys eat something healthy and nutritious while the next minute I justify the processed fast-food as a necessary evil.

I pat myself on the back when a son responds, immediately and respectfully, to a corrective action and the next wanting to crawl under a table when the reaction is the opposite.

As a family, we try to monitor the outside influence of television and media and yet, in weak moments, I encourage them to get lost in a show so I can handle some tasks without the constant interruption of needs that only I can fill.

I limit their sweets, but admit to allowing dessert for breakfast on a rare occasion.

Ugh!  The list could go on and on....

I think I am like most parents.  We want to do what is best for our kids.  We try so hard to do all the "right" things, but in reality, it is hard.  It is tiring- nay, exhausting.  We often have to cave to the likes of processed fast food, winging discipline, indulgent television time, and dessert for breakfast. 

Guess what?  It is okay.   We are all there!!!  You are not alone.  I think perfection is highly overrated as most of learn and grow more from our mistakes than we do from our triumphs.  Plus, those victories are sweeter because of all the trials on the journey.

This past weekend, we went camping as a family.  In the process of one day, my boys had swam until the point of exhaustion, played until the point of being filthy and had s'mores smeared from cheek to cheek.   It was fabulous because for just a time, we got to just enjoy them without the confines of strict bedtimes, cleanliness (swimming counts as a bath, right?) and proper meal standards.  It was just fun and relaxed...and, we all survived.

Now, I know that kind of existence can not go on forever.... I mean, baths and bedtimes are a necessary part of life.  But, as parents, allow me to give you permission to do one thing- relax.  Relax, and give yourself the freedom to fail and learn.  Let them have that fast food meal and take the night off. On a rare occasion, let them have the cake for breakfast- they will never forget it!  Yes, we must be parents, but let us stop mentally beating ourselves up.  WE WILL NEVER BE PERFECT, but in our imperfection, we can find joy, peace and promise.  God does the same for us- He sees all our flaws and yet he finds joy while giving us peace and promise. 

What are some areas that you mentally "beat yourself up"?

Has there been a memorable time when you just "relaxed" with your parenting and just enjoyed the moment?

How does it make you feel to know that God sees our imperfection and yet still gives us promise?

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment