Thursday, June 20, 2013

When the Trip is Over

You know that feeling when you have been on a trip and the time comes to return home?  There has been so much fun and joy in your travels that there is a tinge of sadness at going back to "normal" and yet, there is a little joy in it as well as you will be returning to all that you know and all that is familiar.  It is a weird mix, huh?  I feel a little like that today as this is the last post on my study of Abraham.  At the end of his life, I wondered if her reflected on all that God had done in and through him.... did he feel at tinge of sadness at leaving Isaac behind?  Was he overwhelmed by the joy of going "home" to see the God he loved and had served to the best of his human abilities?  Home for so many of us resides in the individuals we love so dearly and I think going to reside with the Father was a returning home to the One Abraham loved most of all.  I hope that the same will be said of me.....

Let's look at Genesis 25....
"Abraham married a second time; his new wife was named Keturah. She gave birth to Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.... But Abraham gave everything he possessed to Isaac. While he was still living, he gave gifts to the sons he had by his concubines, but then sent them away to the country of the east, putting a good distance between them and his son Isaac. Abraham lived 175 years. Then he took his final breath. He died happy at a ripe old age, full of years, and was buried with his family. His sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah in the field of Ephron son of Zohar the Hittite, next to Mamre. It was the field that Abraham had bought from the Hittites. Abraham was buried next to his wife Sarah. After Abraham’s death, God blessed his son Isaac. Isaac lived at Beer Lahai Roi." (Genesis 25:1, 2, 5-11 MSG)

One thing that is a challenge for me, personally, is to realize that Abraham married again.  I think we always picture our faithful leader with his companion for life- Sarah.  However, I also love how Abraham continued living a fruitful life.  He had dearly loved Sarah, and upon her death, it might have been easy to want to "shut down" and stop living.  However, God had purpose in Abraham living another 30 plus years.  My friend, until our last breath is drawn, He has purpose in each day for us.  Never believe the lie from the evil one that your life purpose has been fulfilled or missed.  He determines when our life is complete- HE and HE alone- knows when that will be.  Until that time, continue living!  Continue seeking His purpose for you daily and all that the Father has called you to do.  I think sometimes we live waiting for our divine purpose to arrive, but it is lived out in countless moments of each day.  Live, my friend, a daily life of purpose!!!

Often, as we travel home from a trip, I ask everyone what was their favorite moment of the trip?  What was their least favorite moment?  So, I will ask you the same thing!  On this journey with Abraham, what were your favorite and least favorite moments?

What lesson will you carry with you as your life journey continues?

I am so thankful for the life of Abraham and the faithful life of courage he lived.  In the past weeks, as I felt God leading me down a new path in my life-walk with Him, I needed to be reminded that where He leads, He provides.  Where He leads, is a well planned path for me, and where He leads, is always the right direction. 

Today, I am praying for each of us as we travel His purpose for us in life for direction and peace in the travels.  Thank you for traveling with me.....

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment