Friday, May 31, 2013

A letter to Caleb.....


The air broke clear with relief as your cries sounded loud and strong in the room.  My son, my very first son, had arrived.  I had never felt such pain in my young 25 years of life, and yet the first sight of you affirmed that I would have done it over innumerable times to hold you in my arms.  Each year, I find myself looking back on that priceless day that changed my world forever.  The moments that began to define part of my purpose on this planet.  Motherhood was born in me as your first breaths were drawn.  It is a beautiful portrait of what God does for us.... drawing life out of pain.  It does this mother's heart good to reflect.... but, this year, I seem to being looking ahead.  I look ahead to the few remaining years we have together, living under the same roof.  I look ahead to your growing independence.  I look ahead to the countless decisions ahead that could easily overwhelm.  I look ahead to the man you are becoming.....
This day, on the celebration of your thirteenth year of life with us, we will present you with a stack of letters written from your father, grandfathers, uncles and other men of who have impact in your life.  Our hope and our longing is that they become precious to you- bringing hope, encouragement and guidance.  They represent all that we desire and hope for your future.  Yet, the letter I hope you will cling to most, is the love letter from our Father.  I pray that you will burn with passion for the word of your Savior and that His words will transform and guide you in the challenges that will inevitably come.  I have no doubt you will succeed if you choose to follow His teachings and leading.  He has incredible plans for you son, and I will rejoice with you in all that might be.
 
So, today we celebrate with you this big birthday, and we rejoice in the Savior who has brought you this far and all that He still has for you.  Each day can be a celebration of the priceless gift you have already received.... your salvation.  Let everything in view be tinted by that saving knowledge for there is nothing you will face in life that is beyond His reach and care.  Trust and hold fast to Him.
 
I love you Caleb..... Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment