Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Differences

Today I am reminded just how totally different my sons are from each other.  I have one son that loves likes to get his schoolwork completed as soon as possible in order to have the most free time possible.  I have another son who tends to delay it as long as possible.  One boy struggles with quick flashes of intense anger while another tends to "simmer" in his anger for awhile.  One is passionate about speaking and sharing his faith publicly. Another struggles to ask for a drink refill at the restaurant because he is so shy.  They are a beautifully complicated creation of the Father!
 
As a parent, I have had to learn what works best with each child in order to parent them best.   It is so easy and tempting to compare them and wish to change them.  To be totally honest a part of me would like to take the best qualities of one and somehow instill that in the others.  Then, I could have three perfect kids, right?  But, then I would miss out on the joy of seeing them make great strides and attain victories.  As frustrating as it is for me, as a parent, it is what is best for them.  They will learn so much more through the process of those journeys than if it all came easily to them.  We all have areas of struggle....every...single... one... of...us.  Isn't the Father patient with us as we walk those challenging times of learning and growth?     
 
Lord, help me to love and appreciate my boys' differences. Help me to encourage them in their weaknesses as well as their strengths. I want to remember that they are gifts that I have the privilege of holding for such a short time. 
 
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment