Thursday, October 10, 2013

Limitless Father

This morning, as I held my first cup of coffee, the toddler asked me a question.  When I did not respond as quickly as he thought I should, he asked again.  I responded.  However, not with the answer he wanted and in his absolute toddler mindset, if one time did not get the "right" answer perhaps a thousand more times of asking would.  I told him that I would assist his needs after I finished my FIRST cup of coffee for the morning.  In response, he asked the same question after every sip of my coffee.... no joke!  sigh....

Yet, this scripture came to mind.....

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." (Matthew 7:7-11 NLT)

Now, as a parent, if my children ask for something that is harmful or not beneficial to them, then I will always say no.  Our Father does the same for us.  Sometimes what we ask for is just not what is best in the long run for us.  Also as a parent, I sometimes say "yes, but not right at this moment" because I see tremendous positives for waiting- even when they do not.  Our Father does the same for us knowing that He longs to give us what we have requested, but that the timing is just not quite right.  Several years ago, we struggled for three years to sell our house.  We prayed so often for God to draw the right people to our home and long to make it their own.  Many contracts came and all fell through.... but, at the perfect time, it sold.  In His divine timing, we were able to purchase a home that met our needs so much better than all the others we had looked at.  His answer was yes, but we had to wait for the timing that was best.

However.....

I also wonder just how many times we miss out on blessings because we just don't ask.  Perhaps our focus is on "fixing" the problem or situation ourselves rather than lifting it up to the King of Kings.... yet, we miss out on the blessing of seeing Him work.  One of my favorite praise songs talks about how He is our portion.  I have sung that song countless times with the thought that He is truly all that I need.  If the world around me fades, I have my portion in Christ.  This is true.... but, I recently had the revelation that if my portion is Christ, then my portion is limitless just like Him.  He has no limits in what He can do, but so often, I put limits on Him.  My friend, can you fully grasp that?  He is always capable- no matter what the situation is!!!  So, why do we hesitate to ask great things of Him?

Is it fear?  Fear of getting an answer or fear of not getting one?  Fear of disappointment?  Yet, if He always has our best interest at heart, what do we have to fear?  Remember, too, that our God is not the author of fear.... the evil one is.  He knows that if he can keep you fearful, then he can keep you from seeing all that God can really do for you.  Let's start living lives without limits as the redeemed of Christ knowing that our portion is so much greater than we have ever dreamed. 

Blessings!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment