Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Going Shopping with Kendall

This past Sunday evening, I needed to run a quick errand at a local store.  Kendall wanted to go with me and I have determined that going anyplace with only one child is like juggling with only one ball- much easier, right?  Plus, it gives me some precious one on one time with each child; so, off to the store we went.  Now, Kendall has hit a very strong independent streak which can be so good in many ways.  Yet, when you are in a hurry and just need to get to the car and go, waiting for 5 additional minutes while he adheres the Velcro just right on his tennis shoes- by himself- might just, in fact, drive you CrAzY.  Am I speaking to any moms out there? 

So, as we approached the store, Kendall wanted me to let go of his hand and let him walk beside me.  I reminded him that we were in a parking lot that was full of moving cars and that the danger of his being hurt was too great for me to let him go at that point.  However, as soon as we walked in the store, I allowed him to walk beside me as we shopped as long as he stayed close.  I warned him that at any point if he ventured too far away from me, that I would be forced to hold his hand or carry him. Now, let me share that I dearly love shopping carts..... they hold all my things- purse, items to purchase and my child.  Plus, when we are locked down and loaded in the cart, I can move fast through isles and get all that is needed quickly.  So, to be totally honest, I really prefer to just load Kendall in the basket and get to the business at hand, but he needs to learn some lessons that can only be done through some independence.  Lessons like staying close, keeping his eyes on me and watching out for others......  so, while it took us much longer to finish our shopping, he walked alongside me.

All was good until the time came to return to the car in the parking lot.  I had to grasp his hand because the danger was too great to allow him to walk beside me.  This did NOT make him happy.  He had gotten a taste of freedom and did not want to see it go, but I knew the risks and dangers were too high. 

My friend, the Father does the same for us, doesn't He?  He knows that the safest place for us is right beside Him, but in His great love, He grants us some freedom.  Why?  He knows that we, too, need to learn lessons like staying close to Him, keeping our eyes on what He is doing in our lives, and watching out for others in our world.  He knows that those lessons can never be taught unless we experience them.  Oh sweet friend, just like with Kendall, our Father never holds us back from our desires unless it is for our safety or protection- it is out of love that restraint happens!  More precious than all to me, is the knowledge that in the most dangerous parts of our life journey with Him, He never lets us go.  Never.  Even in the midst of a great storm, you are ever abiding in His precious palm. 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment