Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Searching for Things Lost

In a house full of activity, flying balls, and the occasional wrestling match, it is not uncommon to lose things. Too often it is my patience as well as calm, cool, and collected reasoning that gets "lost" first. Ha!  No, seriously, in a house full of boys we lose things often and our resident search and rescue expert is Caleb. That boy will search without end until the item is found. It becomes a challenge that he cannot back away from.

Case in point- last week, Kendall bought him a cross necklace for $.25 at a local pizza place. Before we left, it had become untied and slipped off. Caleb could not leave until the necklace was found- the 25 cent necklace. The rest of us were loaded in the car waiting on him because we did not feel the same passion as he did for it. Finally, I called him- from the car- and offered to replace it if we could just leave. At that point, I was not beyond bribery especially when it is in denominations of quarters. 

The thing is, as passionate as he is for lost items, he is the same for lost people. Those who are struggling in hurts and disappointments... Searching for purpose and meaning to this life. He finds them. He finds them because he searches ever so desperately for them. Part of the passion in his search are the pain and struggles he has also endured. He knows  how it feels to be lost and the joy of finding redemption. 

Am I as purposeful and focused at finding the lost ones in my life?

If Christ is to be our example, then by his own words we are to seek out the lost in our world. "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” (Luke 19:10 NIV) 

So, thoughts swirl about my mind.... Am I being intentional in my seeking out the hurting in my world? Do I search for those needing His redemption as I do for earthly treasures? What legacy do I want to leave behind?

I don't think I am alone in this struggle? How about you?

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment