Friday, October 4, 2013

Getting Our Way

Yesterday, we had a great start to the day.  It felt like "fall" and my new pumpkin spice creamer in my coffee made me smile.  God had spoken new and fresh words to my dry bones and all was good. 

Then..... we started school.

I had asked one son to go and get a particular book from the "Homeschool Closet" and when he did not return, I called out again to him.  Finally, after the third time of calling out to him,  I went in search of my lost one.   I found him sitting in the hallway playing..... I calmly went to the kitchen and picked up our "Discipline Spoon".  As I began correcting him, I saw a look of repentance and decided to offer grace to the boy.  He walked off and mumbled something about my being "harsh"..... really, kid???  I offered you grace and you call me "harsh"......  Oh goodness!

Then, I sat him down and explained that I had chosen to show him grace- he fully deserved a punishment for disobeying my directive.  Yet, out of love, I had offered him another chance to change his actions and attitude only to be called "harsh".  The truth is he really wanted his way.... to have the chance to play and not worry about school.  His lashing out at me was directly linked to the disappointment felt by not getting his way on that issue.  Plus, my pointing out to him that he was in disobedience offended him.... but, as his parent, that is my job.

Isn't that what God does for us?  Do we not act in a similar fashion, at times?

God in His great mercy offered us salvation from our sins and redemption through the blood of His own precious Son.  That redemption is daily as He leads, guides and molds us more in His likeness.  Then, there are days when we really want our own way in a situation- and often "our way" is not what is in our best interest.  Yet, when our Father lovingly does what is best for us, we become offended and angry.  We think Him harsh, distant and unable to relate to us.  Why?  We didn't get our way.  We lash out at Him in our anger - often in the knowledge that He is doing what is best for us.

Our God is not a genie in a bottle that will always do as we wish.  He is GOD.  He is HOLY.  He is PERFECT.  Therefore as God, He will do whatever it takes to make us holy as He is holy until we are perfected in His presence.  Temporary disappointments and hurts are a part of the journey because, just as any good parent, He will often do what is best for us over our personal wishes.  That is love, my friend, that is love.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment