Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dressed for the Day

Earlier today, we were rushing off to a meeting for homeschool kids and I realized that Kendall was not dress appropriately for going out.  Thankfully, the temperatures have dropped and it actually feel like fall here in Texas- Yay!  So, his "awesome" shorts would not work.  I ran back to his room and threw out a pair of jeans as he put on a different shirt.  Still in a hurry, I left him to finish getting dressed while I gathered what we needed to take with us to the meeting.

All was good..... or, so I thought......

After our meeting, we made a quick stop by a local grocery store in order to grab some stuff for dinner.  We were almost finished shopping when both of the older boys expressed a need to go to the restroom.  So, they went and as soon as they returned, Kendall realized he needed to use the facilities as well.  Don't toddlers have impeccable timing?  It is always when you are ready to leave- or at least that is how it feels.  So, I leave the other two in charge of the basket of groceries and take Kendall to use the restroom.  When, I am quite surprised to find that he did not pull off his shorts when getting dressed to leave.  Instead, he just put his jeans on over the shorts...... crazy!?!?

First, he had to be hot and uncomfortable.... and, I am just a little jealous that he can fit his jeans on over a pair of shorts because that is NOT an option for me anymore......  The thing that really got me is that by all appearances, he was dressed correctly.  He looked just right for what was needed and expected at that time, but he was being a little bit of a rebel underneath .... literally.  Now, in his defense, I do not know if he really intended to be mischievous this time or was just in a rush, but, still he was not dressed correctly.

Then, this thought hit me..... how many times does my outward appearance look "right" while my heart isn't....  Maybe we just put on our "happy" face and dress the part while inside our minds and attitudes are struggling with sin or hurts.  To be honest, I think that is part of what turns others away from a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Many have witnessed "Christians" that dressed the part on Sunday, but did not live that way during the week.  Have those individuals really had a life-changing experience with our Savior?  Only they know, but it absolutely turns others away from a faith that they deem hypocritical. 

I also think this hampers our faith as we do our best to "put a happy face on" while struggling deep within.  As believers, we are to come alongside each other and help bear the burdens together.  However, if we are too afraid to share our weaknesses, then we bear them alone in silence.  Plus, this too, turns others away from our Savior because they think they have to get their lives straightened out before coming to Christ.  Yet, the opposite is true as only He can truly redeem us from ourselves.

Today, I am really taking a look at myself- am I being genuine?  Am I truly living the faith I profess?  Am I transparent in my life- sharing my struggles as well as victories?  By doing so, I may not realize the impact that will have on others.  How about you?  Take some time today to really think through and evaluate how you are doing in this area because you never know who you might impact for eternity- including yourself!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment