Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sufficient In Weakness

On Wednesday evening, I began to feel the all too familiar twinges of a cold coming on.... I hate that feeling!  Those times when you don't feel normal, but you know that something is about to hit you.  By Thursday afternoon I was sick and by that evening Kendall was as well.  So, on Friday I slipped into survival mode..... fluids, kleenex, washing hands and the necessities of family care were all I could muster.  Thankfully, Kendall was much better by Saturday and normal by Sunday.  I (on the other hand) have not been so fortunate as mine turned into a sinus infection.   Today, is the first day that I can say I feel pretty good.  As a result, I have not been able to sit and write and share.  I have missed it.

A couple of mornings, I being so caught up in caring for sickness that I didn't spend some time with the Father.  I know that happens- it happens to all of us, but I deeply missed it.  It is on the days when I don't retreat to my room to spend some time with the Father that I realize how deep my need for Him daily is for my spiritual health.  I am a much better mom, wife and friend when I have been charged and prepared for the day by the giver of life.  (You can ask my family!) 

It hit me this morning how illness (of many kinds) can draw us away from the Father.  Illness like depression can leave us hurting so deeply- so lost in an endless pit of despair that His light seems to distant and far.  Illness like addiction can leave us feeling so helpless and unable to fight against the longing for something that is ultimately our demise.  Illness like loneliness can make us think that we are alone and the world is against us- no one cares what happens to us.  Physical illnesses that sap our strength and energy and rob us of the ability to do the things we long to do in our heart.  There are countless more I could add.....

We all battle an illness every now and then- that is a part of this fallen world we live in.  However, my friend, we are called to overcome!  We are called to overcome these illnesses that bind us and live a life of joy and strength!  I know some illnesses we may not recover from physically, but we can be over comers spiritually.  Have you ever witnessed someone who was so sick and knew their time to pass was nearing, but they kept the faith?  That, my friend, is how we are to live- strong influential lives that touch those around us so that even our death is a strong part of our fulfilled destiny.  We cannot overcome these things alone, but with the Father we can overcome all- all struggles, all illness, all hurts, all needs, all longings, all insecurities.... all needs become all sufficient in His hands. 

Even the apostle Paul struggled for years with a weakness that he pleaded with the Father to remove....."Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.  Each times he said, 'My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness.'  So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me.  Since I know it is all for Christ's good, I am quite content with my weaknesses and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12: 8-10 NLT

Paul overcame the weakness he battled by becoming sufficient through the Father.  He wasn't miraculously healed because the greater miracle was Paul striving and thriving despite the weakness.  There are many areas of weakness or illness that I have had to deal with either in my own body or in those that I love and care for..... I, too, have seen that sometimes the greater miracle was our learning to overcome them daily through the strength of the Father.  Friend, life is hard and we are all going to face illness, struggles and needs, but we are still called to overcome!  To become sufficient in the hands of the Father in order to strive in the midst of weakness.   I read a quote today by Hannah Whitall Smith which said, "Keep your face upturned to Christ as the flowers do to the sun.  Look, and your soul shall live and grow."  That is so beautiful to me.... friend, you may be hurting, but all you have to do is look up to the Father.  In your weakness, let His light of love fill you, heal you, and give you all that is needed to live and grow... and face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment