Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Zacchaeus the Tree Climber (Part 1)

Several years ago God led me to the passage of scriptures describing the events surrounding Zacchaeus and his meeting with Christ.  Many of us grew up singing the song..."Zacchaeus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he.  He climbed up in a sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see, for the Lord he wanted to see.  And as the Savior passed that way, he looked up in the tree... and he said, 'Zacchaeus, You come down- for I am going to your house today.  For I am going to your house today!'"  I bet some of you are singing it right now!  I grew up with the story of Zacchaeus- this poor height deprived man who had to climb a tree to see Jesus.  When I took the time to really study this passage, God helped me relate to it in a more personal way.  Recently, God pulled me to study this passage again.

I encourage you to read Luke 19:1-10 which describes when Zacchaeus had a life changing appointment with the Son of Man.  Zacchaeus was a tax collector- a very wealthy tax collector.  Jewish people during this time did not care for tax collectors because they often felt cheated by those in that profession.  In my NLT Life Application Bible, one reference to this passage states: "To finance their great world empire, the Romans levied heavy taxes on all nations under their control.  The Jews opposed these taxes because they supported a secular government and its pagan gods, but they were still forced to pay. Tax collectors were among the most unpopular people in Israel. Jews by birth, they choose to work for Rome and were considered traitors.  Besides, it was common knowledge that tax collectors were making themselves rich by gouging their fellow Jews." 

So, it is easy to understand that Zacchaeus was not a very popular person among his fellow citizens.  Due to his being named a chief tax collector, another resource indicates that he was in charge of a district and that he had other collectors under him.  I can just imagine that his extreme wealth was matched only by the extreme displeasure others had for him.  Can you relate?  Have you ever had to deal with someone that just seemed to take advantage every chance they could and yet, they always seemed to benefit?  They rarely seem to have consequences for their actions and yet others suffer for them?  I think we have all had to deal with some of that before and it seems to stir a justifiable anger within us.  It is important to understand that Zacchaeus was a man that others despised.  He was a traitor to his people and benefited from their sacrifice and suffering.

Zacchaeus heard all the excitement of Jesus Christ coming into town.  He was curious- maybe he had heard of all the miraculous things that Christ had done and wanted to see this miracle worker for himself.  Perhaps he- who loved money- wanted to see what would drive some men to abandon all to just follow this healer.  Maybe he had all the wealth that one could possibly need and yet there was still something missing.  Whatever the reason, Zacchaeus found himself on the road to Jericho that day wanting to see this God man Jesus. 

Zacchaeus was short.  This I can relate to!! I still struggle sometimes to see over tall people who sit in front of me at the movies and I have to get a chair to get down the dishes in my top kitchen cabinet.  I will soon look up to my sons and rarely find anyone over the age of 13 who is shorter than I am.  So, I can feel a little sympathetic to his need to see over the crowd.  I think as Jesus drew closer, his desperation to see Christ grew and grew until he climbed a tree- longing only to catch a glance of this man.  None in the crowd would give their position up- especially to such a tax collector.  He might have wealth and means, but even money couldn't buy a good position to see the Savior.  To be honest, I think God had stirred a longing- a desperate need- in Zaccheaus to see this Christ.  Have you ever been that desperate to see Christ?  To see Him working in a broken relationship or to see Him supply a need?  I have been at that place, when I just needed - as much as the air in my lungs- to see Jesus.  To cling to His promises and place my hope in His everlasting word.  I think that was what drove Zacchaeus up in a tree-  straining to see the man Jesus. 

As Jesus came to where Zacchaeus was, I can almost visualize as He stopped, paused and looked up at Zacchaeus.  Even if he didn't know much about Christ, I still can imagine that his heart stopped for a second and he held his breath as his eyes met the eyes of Christ.  What do you think he saw in those eyes- compassion?  love?  kindness?  Then Jesus spoke, "Zacchaeus!  Come down!  For I must be a guest at your house today."  First, recognize that despite no formal introduction, Christ knew Zacchaeus' name.  He knew his name just as he knows my name and he knows yours as well.  Friend, we serve such a loving gracious God that He takes the time to know our name.  Psalm 139 states that before we were born all our days were written in His knowledge.  He knows us that intimately and saw each of us being knit together in the womb of our mother.  I am sure that Zacchaeus had heard his name stated in many ways, but none more beautiful than when this man from Galilee spoke it. 

Beyond knowing him by name, Christ states that he wants to be a guest in Zacchaeus' home.  Can 
you imagine what an honor?  Immediately, our tree climber comes down in order to take Jesus to his house.  It is an honor to have anyone come to your house, but to have the Savior want to enter into your home and stay with you.  As a family, we try to "invite" Jesus into our home each day by spending time in His word and by praying to Him at various times during the day.  We also have scriptures throughout our home as well as reflecting Him and His character in our conversations through the day.  He also takes residence in our hearts for those who have asked Christ to forgive their sins and long to live their lives in obedience and gratitude of His sacrifice.  I think his asking to visit Zacchaeus' home merely reflected his true intention- which was to take residence in His heart. 

Tomorrow, if you will bear with me, we will finish looking at this passage.  I am praying that wherever you are today, that God whispers your name and that he makes your heart His home.  That you can take whatever desperate need you have and turn it over to the Savior who knows every detail of your life and loves you more than any other.  My friend, do you hear Him calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment