Monday, September 10, 2012

On a Hard Day

(Note: This post was written last week.)

Today started rough. Monday hit full force and it seemed almost as soon as my feet hit the floor, I found myself on my knees in prayer. Life is hard. Sometimes the boys are grouchy or an unexpected stress arises and I find myself struggling. This morning was one of those days. Then, through my scripture reading and prayer time I reflected back on yesterday.

Yesterday was such a wonderful time of rejoicing in my Savior with my fellow redeemed. A sweet time of sharing each others' burdens, rejoicing in the victories of others and just savoring the sweet spiritual connection that a group of believers share. I was blessed to have moments spent sharing in the lives of dear friends - some that have been a part of my life for years, some for months and even some for just days. The beauty is in the connection we share through Christ that transcends time.

For those that we have journeyed together for many seasons, it is beautiful to look on the memories and experiences that we have shared together. For those who our journey has just begun, it is so encouraging to see God working in you and to see how He is using you to grow me in my walk with Him.

Our church has been through so much in the past years- heartache and joys have both been part of the journey. Hard work has been a constant companion as we were portable for a time and have grown so quickly in such a short time. We are not perfect- mistakes have been made, but God's grace can heal all wounds. Yesterday, when I sat in conversation with a new friend, I realized that this hard journey has been worth it.... Lives are being changed for God's glory.

I think too often the evil one wants me to focus on the trivial frustrations rather that the task God has given me. This is certainly true about our church- if I focus on the frustrations and inconveniences I can miss what is most important- changed lives for Christ. When I realize what God is doing in the lives of fellow church members and how many lives are being healed, transformed, and redeemed... I am humbled and encouraged. That is what this journey is about- changed lives.

It is not about the music, preaching style, and the like. It is about a group of people desperately seeking after Him and doing it together. Offering support, encouragement, hope and love as we face challenges and needs. It's investing in something more than money. It's realizing that God could use you to impact another person for eternity and that they will have a long, lasting impact on you.

Today, my battle is not against my grouchy children and unexpected stresses. It is against the evil one who wants me to get distracted from my purpose from today which is changed lives. Changed lives in my home and in my sphere of influence. It is realizing that I can call on others to help me bear the burden of a hard day and rejoice in getting through it. It is stopping and seeing that these frustrations are temporary and fleeting. Father, help me to focus my heart and mind on the things that have eternal value!

No comments:

Post a Comment